Daughter of Artemis 18

<>Chapter 18<>

Her green eyes pierced mine, as she glared harshly. Her snakes reacted, ready for me to be another piece of her art. So it happened.

When you turn to stone, wouldn't you expect everything to go black with no feeling? It only seemed natural. Instead, I could still see Medusa's face leering over mine. It contorted into confusion and fear. She flinched back, so I could now see the sky. I hesitantly moved my fingers, afraid they might break off or something. Then it hit me. I didn't turn to stone.

I slowly got up, glaring at Medusa.

"You're her. . ."

I was still looking into Medusa's eyes with every step I took towards her. Fear etched into her features, she started backing up. I ran at her, pulling out a dagger and swinging with excellent accuracy. Everyone heard the sickening sound of the blade connecting with and going through her neck.

Her head slowly slid off her now limp body. I looked down at the knife, trembling ferociously. It was thickly coated in Medusa's blood. I just did that. I killed Medusa. At least for the time being, with monsters resurrecting after periods of time. I turned around slowly. Everyone was staring at me, fascinated. Even Stheno and Euryale looked surprised and scared for their lives.

No one spoke, moved, or dared to breathe. That was until a sword went through Stheno's body. I gasped, matching  her, because that was completely unexpected. Another went through Euryale just as she was about to attack Travis beside her. They turned to green smoke and ashes. I saw Amber holding an equally bloody sword. She looked shy and shocked at her actions, but she regained her posture.

"It needed to be done," she spoke softly and shakily. Annabeth ran over to her and took the sword away.

"Right," I exasperatedly said, the epic feeling fading away. I stumbled backwards, almost losing my balance. Connor started running forward but I shook my head and held my hand up. "I'm fine," I assured him. He nodded, stepping back looking a little hurt.

It was still daytime by the time we cleaned ourselves up. "Okay, we're wasting daylight." I picked up my my now clean daggers and sheathed them back into my belt. I took a swig of water before hoisting my bag over my shoulder. "Okay, lets go," I said, motioning for everyone to follow. They did so silently, still grasping the fact of what just happened.

<><><>

The rest of the walk was boring. It was silent, no one spoke a word. The only sound was our footsteps on the wet ground. It began raining about an hour ago. My hood was up, as was everyone else's. Someone coughed. I was thinking about Medusa's last words.

I'm her? Who's her? If its daughter of Artemis, then yes I know. But I had a feeling that's not what she was talking about. She seemed like I was a piece of soon-to-be history. Like an ancient, valuable artifact. That's not normal. In this world though, what is?

I didn't know I was mumbling until someone said something. "Can you please stop mumbling and can we camp?" Travis asked rudely.

"Its only around two o'clock," I said, suprised at his rudeness.

"I am drenched, thirsty, hungry, tired, and I think everyone else is too," he pointed out. I didn't even stop to think about them. I scanned their cold, pale faces.

"Sorry guys, lets just..." I trailed off. You can't go under a tree in the storm, everyone knows that.

I looked along the edges of the road. "There's no where to stay," I said hopelessly.

"Under the trees," Tyson said.

"Never ever go under a tree during a storm." I pointed to a tree.

"Lets keep walking for a little bit longer, see if we find a town or something," I suggested, moving on. About an hour later, I saw lights. Town lights. "Guys I see town lights!" I yelled, started to pick up speed until I was full out running. The footsteps were heard behind me.

I stopped to admire the sign. "Welcome to Cali, baby," I smiled.

<><><><><>

O.O I think it's the first time I haven't taken forever to update. New high score!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, I love you all :)

Goodbye lovelies.