Daughter of Artemis 12*

<>Chapter 12<>

<>Connor's P.O.V<>

Dear journal,

So far, it's been a total of three days. Nothing has changed. We haven't moved camp or even moved in general. It's too painful. I know we should go back to camp and deliver the news. But, even so, I sort of want to finish this makeshift quest. Just for her; in her honor.

I still can't get over it. Not yet, and I won't for a while. At least until I finally die, which sadly could be sooner than I'd like.

That's something that's been bugging me, actually. I never told her. I never told her how I was actually dying, and I know it's too late now but I just can't help but feel like she deserved to know the truth. She was so kind and innocent and unafraid. She always had this kind of courageous radiance. She knew her weaknesses, yet she still moved on, not letting them stop her. I might be looking into it too much, but she was really something. I've known her only for a short while, but in the time I've known her, I can say she was like no other. Her natural beauty, her inspiring personality, just everything about her. . . I've never met anyone who could compare.

But she is gone. And she will always be gone, because she is dead. Sylvia is dead.

I sighed, putting the pencil down and putting my head in my hands. I had already cried myself dry, as everyone else has. We lingered here, all of us just hoping for a miracle. During these past few days, we've been losing hope. We may stay for a while longer, but eventually we will have to head back to Camp Half-Blood. We'll have to tell Chiron about Sylvia, and the newest demigod.

Speaking of, we learned that her name is Amber and that she's from Wisconsin. Turns out, she was running away because her mother was crazy. Like, Luke's mom crazy.

She said she thinks that she's a daughter of Hermes too. She does remind me of. . . well, me. And I'm talking the sort of elvish looks and mischievous look, though she acted nowhere near close to mischievous around us. Probably because of our current situation.

She also said her mother was constantly chanting Hermes' name too, so that was a clear sign.

Amber has red, straight hair and very light brown eyes. Her skin is pale like Sylvia's, but not nearly as fair.

Annabeth hasn't spoken a word since the incident. Even Percy can't get her to talk. Her and Sylvia were pretty close, considering the fact that they used to argue. Clarisse hadn't said much either. As a matter of fact, none of us really had. Only Amber was the chattiest, but even she spoke only a few words. It was a hard thing to deal with, although we've only known Sylvia for so little time.

The fire in front of me barely burned, it's flames dying out. I poked it a little with a stick and blowing on it, trying desperately to find something to do.

"So, what do we do now?" Percy asked. It was silent for a while.

"We either wait for a miracle, or we leave," I said finally. He nodded.

"Tomorrow?" he asked.

"It'd probably be best," I agreed.

"Then it's settled. We head back tomorrow. We'll tell Chiron about. . ." he cleared his throat, "And we'll also tell him about Artemis and Hades. And of course," he said, looking towards Amber, "her."

Amber was asleep when I looked over at her. I nodded slowly and sighed.

Night approached slowly, with still no clues of Sylvia coming back. Then again, when did anyone ever come back from the dead? This wasn't some fantasy novel where the main character dies and leaves a suspenseful ending.

I didn't know what I was thinking with getting my hopes up. It was a stupid thing, for I knew all too much this was in fact reality. Or at least as real as reality gets for me, a demigod. With that angry and unfaithful thought, I nodded off into an unintentional sleep.

<>Sylvia's P.O.V<>

All I could detect was blackness. But no pain, or uneasiness. Is this what death is? Am I on my way to the underworld to wander around as a lifeless spirit? What's happening to me? Is time frozen? How am I even thinking these thoughts? So many questions unanswered.

Why is life so unfair? I was doing a good deed, wasn't I? I was helping the poor girl. How did this happen to me?

Not that I'd have it anyone else, not at all.

I apologize. . . Artemis spoke. I never meant for this to happen. I knew I couldn't talk back to her and it made me angry that I couldn't even nod. You did well, child. Well, at least she appraises what I did. I appreciate your efforts more than you know.

Suddenly, I saw white. Complete whiteness. It was happening. I was going to heaven to become a star, like I always thought as a kid. The whiteness started to darken. Am I transferring to hell? Death is so confusing.

I soon realized I was only seeing dark splotches.

My eyes fluttered open to see it was snowing. No, raining. No, that can't be right, it's not rain. Nothing is wet. In front of me was the moon, bigger than I'd ever seen it before. Among the black, night-like view, little, white, twinkling circles dotted the sky. This wasn't any weather, these were the stars. A question popped up; am I dead or not?

Because of your great deeds, I have granted you your life. Not just because of your great deeds, but because you're important. Very important, too important. Know that I wish you a safe trip. Be careful, for I cannot grant you life again. Goodbye, brave one.

The moon, I guess, was talking to me somehow. The moon didn't have lips or anything, it was just my instincts. How was the moon talking? I'm not sure, nothing about being a demigod makes sense anymore.

Soon I found myself getting lowered, but I abruptly stopped mid-air.

One last thing, remember these words. . .

<><><><><>

There's your chapter! Sorry it took a while. It was my bros b-day this weekend. Btw, if you guys like sci-fi and romance books, you should read "The Host." it's amazing! You can't find it here on Wattpad, but Stephenie Meyer wrote it. She wrote the Twilight series. (I'm not a huge fan of twilight and this book is nothing like twilight). There's also a movie for "The Host." Both the book and movie are amazing! I just highly recommend it.

By the way, as I've been working on this chapter, I've got some great ideas that will fit together. But... SPOILER ALERT! I have to write a prophecy. I'm not using the one from the Percy Jackson series at the end because 1.) it doesn't fit my story. 2.) I don't want to copy. 3.) That's already been written.

So, it will take me a while to make the next chapter.

Ok sorry about all that talk but it was important so yea. Ok well bye!

-Bailey