Chapter 28-John's POV

Maggie and I stood there, dumbfounded at Sherlock's sudden reaction. What was going on with him? He's been acting strange ever since the fall, before and after. I still can't bring myself to think of that horrific day. The day I lost my best friend for three years. I feel selfish now that I think about how Maggie may be feeling. She's known him longer than I have and still seems to try and wrap her head around the event although she would never admit it.

I let out a heavy sigh and ran a hand through my short hair. "Should we go after him?" I asked quietly. I got no answer. "Maggie?" I looked up from where I had been staring at the floorboards. Maggie was gone. I heard a door slam shut from the floor underneath and closed my eyes.

She's gone after him. Of course she has. I may be just a doctor but I can tell when two people have a liking towards one another. You'd have to be blind and deaf to not see how they fancy one another. They may reject my conclusion but that's only to be expected. I am not unobservant.

I walked out the door, grabbing my coat on the way. I made sure the door was closed before rushing down the stairs and out into the street. Maggie's cab was gone. I hadn't expected her to wait for me. I'm used to riding in a cab alone.

"Hey, what took you so long?" A feminine voice from behind me made me jump slightly. I turned to see Maggie leaning against the door I had only walked out of seconds ago.

"Uh, I thought you-"

"Left? Oh John, I may be friends with Sherlock but he isn't always my first priorty." Maggie said.

I felt myself smiling gratefully at her. It had been so long since someone actually waited for me before dashing off to god knows where. "So where are we headed?" I asked.

"Sherlock went that way, so the only place he could've gone would be Scotland Yard." Maggie stated.

"To Scotland Yard." I declared with a smile and turned to hail a cab. One pulled over and I opened the door. Maggie climbed inside and I followed her in.

"Scotland Yard." She was saying to the cabbie as I sat on the seat. The cabbie nodded and pulled out into the streets before I had even closed the door. The driver picked up speed and I finally pulled the door closed.

Silence fell in the cab. Maggie was looking straightforward with an anxious look on her face. She was worried for Sherlock. I can understand that considering his recent behavior and ontop of all of that, a case about an empty hearse. Everyone seemed to be stressed now. Ever since Sherlock fell.

My phone rang, snapping me out of my thoughts. I pulled it out and looked at the caller ID.

Mary.

She had gone to visit relatives for the holiday and shouldn't be back for another week or so.

So why was she calling me now?

"Aren't you going to answer that?" Maggie asked with an annoyed look in her eye.

I clicked the end button and let it go to voicemail. Maggie raised her eyebrows at my action. "I can call her back." I said. Maggie slowly nodded, still eyeing the phone I had slid into my front pocket.

We stayed silent until the driver finally pulled up to Scotland Yard. I paid the cabbie meanwhile Maggie was already out of the cab and running towards Scotland Yard before the cab had even come to a full stop.

I hurried out of the cab and ran after the fast woman named Maggie.

I found her standing impatiently inside, waiting for me. She seems to wait a lot.

We continued through the building until we made it to where Lestrade's office is. Maggie opened the door and waltzed right in with me walking slightly less confidently behind her.