Chapter 22-John's POV

(A/N) This chapter is taking place before Maggie got to her flat and after she talked to John at the restaurant. So during this, Maggie is walking home and just left the restaurant. Also, I'm going to try and start dedicating some chapters to people since I feel like I've never done that before...actually I haven't done that before. Anyway, here's the chapter!!!! This is dedicated to @Vintage_Gurl for being my Whovian/ Sherlock buddy on here. ;)

JOHN POV

I watched Maggie leave and readjusted the box that held the ring so that it wasn't noticeable.

"What did Margaret want?" Mary asked as I pulled her chair out for her to sit.

"Hmm? Oh, she just wanted to pop by and say 'Hello.' " I said nervously and ran a hand through my hair as I took my own seat. Mary just raised an eyebrow and went along with it. "So, uh, what are you planning for the holidays?" I asked, trying to keep a steady flow of conversation even though my insides felt like they were put in a blender. It's almost Christmas and snowflakes were already starting to drift through the air.

"I was going to visit my sister. I haven't seen her in a year at least. What about you?" Mary answered.

"I'm not sure. I might just stay at the flat with Mrs. Hudson. I might have Lestrade and Molly over for a little gathering." I said and fiddled with my thumbs.

Mary nodded and smiled. We talked for another ten minutes before she went to the washroom.

I waited until she was out of sight before putting my elbows on the table and placing my face in my hands. I was so nervous about asking her. What if she says 'No.'?" What if she says 'Yes.'? So many emotions clouded my brain I barely noticed someone sliding in the seat across from me.

Mary was back already?

"That was rather quick." I said and pulled my head out of my hands.

"I don't consider three years 'quick'." The deep voice replied and I froze.

Could it be? No, it can't be.

I slowly looked up until Sherlock's smirk came into view. Sherlock.

"But...what?...How? I-uh." I stuttered and failed to form a proper sentence.

"So tell me, John. I hear you're going to propose tonight." Sherlock said.

"H-How are you here?" I managed to squeak out at a very high pitch. I cleared my throat and felt tears welling up in my eyes. For three years my best friend was dead. Gone. Out of my life. Now, he's suddenly right in front of me with that same smirk and sparkle in his eye when he knows something nobody else knows.

"Don't you know?." Sherlock said with the smirk was still plastered on his face.

I just shook my head and hoped to get an answer for why I spent three years missing my best friend, whom I assumed to be dead.

"Well, it's a story for another time. Mary is coming back anyway. May want to hide the box in a better place. I can see it clearly." He said, practically quoting Maggie from earlier.

"Wait, where are you going? You're leaving again?" I asked with desperation clear in my voice despite my efforts to not seem desperate.

"Yes. I will see you after your dinner though. I need to see an old friend anyway." He said and started to rise from his seat. My hand lashed out and grabbed his wrist. Sherlock froze and stared intently at my hand on his wrist.

"Please, Sherlock. Promise me you won't leave again." I said with watery eyes.

Sherlock looked down at the ground for a moment before nodding and looking at me with his light blue-green eyes. "I promise, John." He whispered with a serious note in his voice.

I nodded and let him go. He quickly spun around, with his coat flaring behind him dramatically as it used too three years ago.

I watched him run down the street in the same direction Maggie had gone earlier.

I sat for a bit and cast a glance towards the washroom. Mary still wasn't out yet.

I moved anxiously in my seat before finally giving in and rushing out the door after Sherlock. He wasn't getting away that easily.

"Sherlock!" I shouted as I wrapped my coat closer to my body. His slim figure turned and waited for me to catch up to him.

Once I finally reached him, I looked up at him.

His hair was a black, curly mess as usual. He wore the same attire he had on when he 'fell'. Although his clothes were a bit torn and rough looking, he looked the same.

"John, are you just going to stare at me all night or did you rush out on Mary for a reason?" Sherlock asked.

I snapped out of my somewhat 'trance' and opened my mouth to speak. "Is that it? You just walk into the restaurant, announce that you're somehow alive and well, then you leave and say you need to see someone else? Do you know how hard it's been these past three years? How many times Maggie called me because of a nightmare and how many times I've cried at night just hoping you'd hear me and come back." By now I was choking back tears and trying to keep some of my dignity.

Sherlock looked at me with sorrow written on his thin face. He opened his mouth to reply but was cut off by a woman's voice. "John? Are you alright?" Mary's concerned tone brought me to my senses and I noticed how dreadfully cold it was outside. I shivered a bit before looking over to see her standing at the entrance to the restaurant.

"Yes. I'm just talking to a man I used to know." I said and saw Sherlock staring at me when I said 'a man I used to know' Did he really expect me to say 'friend' when he left me...and Maggie for three years knowing that it would hurt.

"Well you better hurry up. You'll catch your death if you stand there much longer." Mary said in a friendly tone before stepping back inside the warm restaurant.

I turned back to Sherlock, only to find him gone.

He's left me again.

I shoved my hand in my pocket and felt a piece of paper rub against my fingertips. I pulled it out and read the short note.

Gone to see Maggie. I'll be at your flat later tonight. Oh and please shave the mustache. It's distracting.
-SH

I sighed before putting it back in my pocket and lightly stroking the ring box I have yet to present to Mary.

It's now or never.

I sucked in a deep breath and reentered the restaurant. I walked over to the table at which Mary was seated at and sat back down in my seat.

"So, John, you said you had something important to ask me earlier. What was it?" She asked with a sweet smile. I instantly forgot about Sherlock Holmes and everything else in the world. It was just me, Mary, and the box that held the diamond ring.

"Oh, right, the question. Um, Mary, we've been together for two and a half years now and you've helped me get through so much. Without you, I'd be lost and depressed. You're the reason I'm here now. I've been waiting for the right time to do this and I think I'm ready now." I slowly got down onto my knee and Mary covered her mouth with her hand. Tears glittered her eyes and my own were rather damp. "Mary Morston. Would you do me the incredible honor of marrying me?" I asked and pulled the ring out of my pocket.

I ignored the stares of everyone around us and focused on Mary. She started laughing and nodded her head happily. "Yes, John. I'll marry you." She said with a smile growing on her face.

I smiled and stood up. I slipped the ring onto her finger and people clapped around us. Mary leaned forward and we kissed as if we never wanted to pull apart. I didn't want to leave this wonderful woman I now know as my fiancée.

I was going to marry this woman. This wonderful woman, whom I held in my arms now. Not even Sherlock Holmes can change that.