Chapter 19-Maggie's POV

I ran down my stairs full speed and didn't even bother to grab my jacket from the coat closet. I sprinted out the door and headed straight for the blonde haired man.

He looked up and the first thing I saw was his green eyes and sinister smile. He knew I was headed for him.

He started running the opposite direction and I continued to chase him. Cars honked and drivers swore at me as I ran right in front of their cabs or cars.

I kept my focus on the black jacket as I raced through the crowd of people with their umbrellas raised over their heads.

Puddles of fallen rain splashed up and soaked the bottom of my leg. The rain streaked my vision and made it almost impossible to see.

I was catching up to the blonde haired man when he swerved into an alleyway between two tall buildings.

I reached out my hand and grabbed onto the hood that was flying behind him. He made a grunting sound as I slammed him into the alleyway wall.

Then he started laughing.

"Oh, you caught me. Fantastic." He grinned like a Cheshire cat. I wanted to punch this guys face in so bad but I kept the jacket collar tight in my fists.

"Why did you kill them?" I demanded.

"Why would I tell you? Figure it out. I gave you a hint." He said and started to tap his right wrist with his left index finger.

"Tell me." I said and narrowed my eyes.

He tilted his head and his blonde hair was plastered to his face.

"Did you notice their appearance? Remind you of anyone?" He asked and kept his grin on his face.

A flash of Sherlock's face made me flinch slightly and my eyes burned with wanting to just cry. I couldn't cry now. Not with this creep in my grasp.

"You know who they looked like. Do you remember my boss? He certainly was interested with you." Blonde man continued.

"Moriarty? You worked for Moriarty." I remember seeing a blonde haired man in one of the photos Sherlock had showed me before Moriarty's trial.

"Oh look you're finally catching up." He praised and laughed shortly.

"So you killed those innocent people just because they resemble somebody?" I questioned.

"Ding ding ding, we have a winner!" He laughed and his smile widened, "Do you remember, Margaret? Do you remember when he fell? John's face when his body splattered the ground?"

I slammed him harder into the wall and he didn't even wince.

"Don't you dare." I warned with gritted teeth.

"So you do. I remember as well. Sherlock jumping off of that roof because of you. Why didn't you save him, Margaret?" He taunted.

"I said, Stop it!" I yelled.

"He saved you so many times. Why didn't you save him the one time he was in danger? You are weak. That's why." He continued.

"Stop talking!" I yelled and threw him to the ground. I slammed my boot into his chest and held him down.

I pulled out my phone and texted Lestrade my location. I added a 'Hurry before I kill this bastard.' to the end of my text.

I didn't get a reply but I didn't expect one.

The blonde haired man just laid on his back with his hands behind his head.

"So, Margaret, how has life been? No Sherlock to keep you company and nightmares that haunt you every night." He asked with a mysterious glint in his eyes.

I controlled my breathing and closed my eyes to keep the tears from running down my face. I've cried way too much this past year.

"It's all your fault. It's all your fault." He chanted over and over.

Finally I leaned down and yanked him to his feet only to punch him in the nose.

He chuckled and glared at me. "You shouldn't have done that." He threatened before lunging at me.

I felt his fist smack into my nose and blood trickled down my face. I kneed him in the stomach and elbow his shoulder hard.

He gripped my throat and pressed me against the alleyway wall.

"You killed Sherlock. He jumped and you didn't save him. He's dead and it's All. Your. Fault." He spat in my face.

I was then glad for the rain as it disguised the tears running down my face.

He grinned in triumph as I broke slowly in his grip. I felt my heart deflate as I realized that he was right. I didn't save Sherlock when I could've.

I heard police sirens sound from nearby and the blonde haired man's grin faded.

"I will kill you. But not yet. Moriarty taught me to enjoy the game. He also taught me how to cheat." He said.

I heard footsteps running towards us and I closed my eyes. My breathing was cut off from blonde haired man's grip.

I felt the pressure disappear from my throat and I instinctively swallowed a deep breath.

I opened my eyes and saw the man slumped on the ground and Lestrade was putting handcuffs on the man.

I continued taking deep, painful breaths as I cried. Tears rolled uncontrollably down my cheeks as I slumped to the ground.

Lestrade yanked the man to his feet and another officer led him to the police cars.

I saw Lestrade turn and looked down at me. His graying hair was wet and the rain rolled down his face. His eyes were sad as he watched me crumble to the ground and let the tears fall from my eyes.

"Do you want a ride home?" He asked me.

I managed a nod and he helped me up.

The car that held the blonde haired man was pulling out as Lestrade led me over to his black car.

I kept my head down until we got to the car. I raised my head and looked back into the alleyway. A shadowed figure stood at the end of the alley and watched me.

Sherlock's curly hair was glued to his forehead as he watched Lestrade open the car door. Why couldn't he leave my thoughts for once?

I climbed into Lestrade's car and he slammed the door shut after me. He moved around the car and got into the driver's side. Lestrade let out a sigh as he started the car. I moved my eyes over to look at him before pulling my knees up to my chin like a child. I felt tears slip down my face as I looked out at the dreary city I now call my home.

"What did he say to you?" Lestrade's voice tore me from my thoughts. I looked back at him and took a deep breath.

"Lestrade? Do you think it was my fault Sherlock jumped." My voice broke on his name despite my efforts to calm down.

Lestrade raised an eyebrow before shaking his head. "No, you couldn't have done anything without getting yourself killed as well. It's not your fault, Margaret."

"But what if it was? What if I could've saved him? It would've been better if it had been me on that rooftop. I don't have anybody. My parents still haven't told me when they are coming back from America and I don't have any siblings...that I speak too anyway." I muttered and kept my gaze down.

"Margaret, I know you feel guilty and we all wish we could've helped him. But don't ever think it should've been you. How do you think Sherlock and John and Mrs. Hudson would've felt?" Lestrade asked.

"Sherlock would've been too busy with his work to even notice my absence. John has Mary and would've had Sherlock. Mrs. Hudson doesn't even know me all that well." I pointed out.

Lestrade let out a defeated sigh. "What about Molly? You're friends with her right? Even Mycroft would've missed you. I know I would." Lestrade mumbled the last four words and I barely heard them.

"You would've missed me?" I asked with a laugh. Lestrade smiled and shrugged his shoulders. I smiled gratefully at him. "Thank you." I added.

"For what?" Lestrade asked and glanced at me before returning his attention on the road.

"For the ride home." I nodded to my flat up ahead. "And for being a friend to me. I don't have many friends. Never have."

He nodded and pulled the car over in front of the flat. "You're welcome, Margaret."

"My friends call me Maggie." I said with a small smile.

His grin widened into a real smile. "Goodbye, Maggie."

I nodded and stepped out of the car. I closed the door behind me and waved to Lestrade before running up the small steps to my front door. His car pulled away once I got the door open.

"Where have you been? Running off like that made me think somebody died!" Mrs. Lancer came out of her room with a stern look on her face. I grinned at her and pulled her into a hug. She made a surprised sound before returning the hug.

"What's that for, Dear?" She asked when I pulled away.

"For caring. Thanks Mrs. L!" I called behind me as I hurried up the steps and into my front room.

I closed the door behind me and went back over to the file that sat haphazardly on my coffee table. I opened it and saw another post-it note on the inside. Did I miss that before?

I picked it up and read it.

You're welcome.

That's all it said. No signature and in the same scribble style as if to hide their normal handwriting.

I carefully put the note down and massaged my temples.

What will tomorrow bring? I asked myself this many times in the past year, ever since Sherlock fell.

It's hard to predict when you have no hints or clues to help you.

(A/N) Okay so first real case solved! I thought it was a success. Who do you think left the file on Maggie's coffee table? Kinda easy to predict that.

Next update will be Sherlock's POV and what he's been up too since the fall. Then I will get to the three year leap after the fall since that's apparently when Sherlock is to return into John's life. At least that's what I've heard...

See ya'll later!!!

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎