Prologue

Faye

The soft thuds my feet were making on the wooden floor and the classical music playing in the background were the only things that seemed to fill the room - and I liked it. Light as a feather, I landed lightly on my feet after a final twirl and took a bow ever so gracefully. The music stopped to be replaced by Mr. Walker's clapping hands.

Mr. Walker who was fit and tall with brown kinky hair was wearing his usual oxford shirt tucked in his black slacks turning him into more like a college professor than a ballet instructor. Still applauding, he stood up from being slouched down on his chair that was leaned against the mirrored-wall. "Absolutely beautiful," he started praising in an accent so strange to me, a mixture of American and French. "Well done, Faye." My cheeks instantly turned pink and I smiled at the floor. Not everyone gets a good comment from a perfectionist like Mr. Walker so I guessed there was nothing wrong with being flattered and blushing. I looked pathetic though, I assumed.

"Alright gals, I think that's a wrap. That's it for the auditions," he announced, his hands on his hips. The other dancers besides me, also dressed in their leotards, tights and romantic tutus, got up from the floor getting ready to be officially dismissed. "Your characters will be posted in thirty minutes before you leave the studio." My breath quickened upon hearing him say. "Let's see who gets the spot for the Swan Queen. See you all tomorrow for the rehearsals and good luck!" Mr. Walker gave a small encouraging smile to everyone before swinging open the exit door and leaving.

.

The faint murmurs and giggles of the girls turned into a fleet of laughter as I walked in the dressing room. Rebecca's booming voice bounced off on every corner when she laughed telling about something funny that happened today. Their laughing was then cut shortly when they noticed my arrival. "Hey, Faye! Didn't see you there," Lauren who was sitting at her corner next to Rebecca's, greeted. I made my way to my corner which was located at the far end of the dressing room, next to Jane's, feeling their eyes buried on me which was kind of intimidating.

"Hey," I gave a nervous smile to everyone.

"You were amazing, as usual! I wouldn't be surprised if you get the part," Jane commented when I reached my corner and hung my tutu on the rack beside my seat.

I gazed at Jane who had beautiful blue eyes and blonde Barbie hair, and sat in front of my small vanity table. The other girls then continued on their loud chatting. "Thanks! You were too," I said to Jane, my lips still curved into a smile.

The mirror of the vanity table had lights on the sides which lit my face. Posted on the lower right corner of the mirror were photos of my family and Kyle. I was observing them whilst rubbing my hands with sanitizer. Then I remembered I still had a dinner date to go to tonight.

My thinking was interrupted by the sudden loud opening of the dressing room door. Barging in was Molly, excitement burning in her eyes like wild fire. "Girls! It's out! Quick!" she exclaimed almost hopping, and everyone evaporated from the room as they hurried to see what the black-haired ballerina was excited about.

"Faye, c'mon!" Jane coaxed motioning me to come.

I bit my lower lip to hide the excitement that was growing in me. My heart was racing again. We went out of the room and ran through the hallway which led to the bulletin board where the list of casts for the play was posted. I only reached the board to be welcomed by pats, hugs and well done's.

"Congratulations, Faye!"

"Faye, you deserve it!"

"Great job, Faye!"

Slowly materializing in my vision was the image of a piece of paper posted on the board, like the view through a camera being focused. My eyes then scanned for evidence that I made the part. My mouth flew open once I found the title "Swan Queen" typewritten on the paper, and under it was the name Faye Harris.