09 / Discovery of the Hazelnut Coffee Lover

Start from the beginning

Mason shook his hands out with glee.

"I'm kidding! When I came to the student center, Vanessa looked vicious — shit, people had to hold me back too — I've never seen Pops and Mom so angry. They also met the Valentino's you've been hiding, I can tell they like them." 

For some reason, it felt like Mason was some kind of reporter. Still, I was glad he was aware of all of this.

Thanking him, I asked "So, everything's okay, right? Where's Pops and Mom?"

Mason replied, nodding his head, "They went out to grab some food. Do you need anything?"

I couldn't put my finger to it, but there was something different about Mason's actions. He was very — how could I put this? — unusually nice. Shaking my head, I glanced over to my right, finding my best friend sleeping peacefully in the hospital chair.

I knew it!

Flicking my attention back at Mason, I teased, "You don't have to act like an angel just because Vanessa's around." 

Mason, despite being really informative, was caught in the act. He shook his head, keeping his voice low. 

"Maisie, don't talk so loud!" 

I just gave my younger brother a sly grin until Mason pulled the Bryce card on me again. When I was about to raise my voice again, Mason quickly cut me off, and we both agreed to keep our mouths shut.

Mason then quietly confessed, "I really don't like that David guy, Maisie. He's always with Vanessa."

Stifling a laugh, I defended the kind Valentino, "Come on now, no need to be bitter. David's a really good guy."

That was when Mason rolled his eyes.

"Right. That's what you said about jackass Jason."

"Uh no. I always knew that jerk was a jerk. Trust me on this, okay?"

Mason shrugged his shoulders. 

"Fine. But, I'm still the best, right?" 

I wasn't going to lie; Mason was a really good kid. I wouldn't have asked for a better brother. Smiling warmly, I nodded.

"Of course, no one can ever beat my little brother."

                                                     .        .        .

Because of the accident jackass Jason caused, I was given three days off from work despite the fact I was up and ready to go. 

Manager Gray would tease that I would make the guests lose their appetites if they saw my exposed stitches. If that bastard — I mean, Jason — hadn't been such an ass — I mean, bother — then this wouldn't have happened.

During the past three days, I wasn't able to thank Bryce. Vanessa told me he never came back to school. As much as I didn't want to, I was worried that Bryce might have gotten into trouble. If not by the school, but by his mother.

Now that I was back to work, I wanted to test my luck and see if I'd run into that delivery boy. As I ended my shift, I bid my goodbyes to Manager Gray and coworkers who all told me to get better. Taking the elevator down, I jumped when I saw David walking towards me. He was the first Valentino I've seen in days. David didn't notice at first, but when he did, he gave me a friendly wave.

David grinned and greeted, "Maisie, good to see you! How's your arm?"

Giving him a smile back, I replied, "Same to you. My arm's doing better, thanks for asking. It's been a while since we've seen each other."