Chapter 11- Where Angels Fear to Tread

Xavier’s POV

“I am getting a bit hungry.  Would you mind ordering some food from room service?”  Alice’s voice is emotionless, as are her bright green eyes.  Normally I can read her like a book, but right now she is completely and utterly closed off.  Alice usually projects her feelings incredibly loudly, through a combination of body language and curse words. 

Note the sarcasm. 

“Of course.  Give me a second, I’ll be right back.”  Shrugging off my doubts for a later time, I walk to the living room and dial star 7 on the phone. 

“Hello, your Highness.  What will you be requiring today?” the deep Y voice answers through the receiver.  I wince at the title, but do not reprimand him.  He is not to be blamed for my birth, even though I resent it. 

“Alice, what would you like to eat?” I yell back in the direction of the bedroom. 

“Pasta!” she calls back immediately and I smile because that is my favorite food too.  Italian food it is then. 

“Can we have some assorted pastas and breads please?  Please deliver it to floor 75 suite 2,” I finish.

“Of course your Highness.  Will you be in need of anything else?” the Y on the other end doesn’t sound anything like the normal Tower residents.  He is gruffer, not at all like the polite and sophisticated socialites that dominate culture in the Refuge.  I put it out of my mind, convincing myself that it is of no consequence.  Even when my instincts are screaming at me to not trust this foreigner, not trust this man who is so blatantly different from myself. 

“Just make sure there is a lot of it.  I think my partner here is fairly hungry,” I say, trying to relieve my nagging doubts.  The man chuckles a little then clicks off the line.  I set the phone back down and head to the second bedroom, shuffling around in the drawers before picking out khakis and a polo shirt to wear. 

“Like what you see?” I say aloud.  A squeak comes from the doorway and I grin, knowing I had sensed Alice behind me.  I know she has a morbid sense of curiosity—that she would have wanted to come in and spy on me. 

I turn to see her flaming cheeks pointed towards the ground.  Crossing over the room to her, I put my hands on either side of her face, turning it up towards me. 

“I—um, wasn’t… didn’t mean to—” the ringing of the doorbell stops Alice during her rambling.  She all but sprints out of the room to go open it. 

“Hey thanks for bringing the food—”

Click.

 ______________________________________________________________________________

Alice’s POV

The sound of the gun safety taken off should have scared me, especially because it was pointed directly at my forehead.  But I’ve been through a lot in the past couple of days, and right now I am too shocked to do anything but stare dumbly.