Chapter 22- Homecoming

Alice’s POV

It’s my wedding day, and I am absolutely freaking out.  Someone must have been planning this since I got to Refuge City, because there is no way that a gathering of this size could have been organized in under a week.  It seems like the whole city has come to witness my marriage.  I pace nervously around the dressing room I am waiting in.  Emma is sitting in a corner, calmly sipping on a flute of champagne.  Her eyes travel back and forth as she watches me strut past.

“Honey, you need to calm down.  Just calm down.”  She sets the glass down and places herself in front of me.  Her long pale gold bridesmaid’s dress looks quite pretty on her, actually.

“I am calm; can’t you see that I’m calm?”

I most certainly don’t sound calm.

She looks me up and down before smoothing the fabric over my stomach.  I am dressed in a silvery-white dress with pale golden designs and swirls covering the corset-like top.  The skirt, starting just above my waist, is a matching gold and has beautiful silver stitches and flowers adorning the length of its abundant silk layers.

The golden color sets off my hair beautifully, but I cannot really focus on that fact.  I am more worried about the fact that I will not be walked down the aisle by my father.

The thought sends me into another frantic session of pacing.

My father.  What do I tell him?  Hey dad, I just got married to the one thing you despise in this world and… yeah I’m going to make a bunch of little mutant babies with said thing.

Nice seeing you, bye!

No.

                “Alice, you’re sweating off all your makeup.  You need to stop.  It’s not that bad.”  Emma places herself in my line of vision, helping to distract me somewhat.  She thrusts the flute of champagne in my hand and I throw the contents back obediently.

                “Better?” she asks.  I nod distractedly.  A knock sounds at the door and Emma turns away from me to open it.