Chapter 14- Stockholm Syndrome

{I feel these four walls closing in

face upaginst the glass, I'm lookin out in

Is this my life I'm wondering

Happened so fast

How do I turn this thing around?

Is this the bed I chose to make

These greener pastures, I'm thinkin about

Wide open spaces far away

All I want is the wind in my hair

To face the fear but not feel scared

Wild horses I wanna be like you

Throwing caution to the wind, I'll run free too

Wish I could recklessly love

Like I'm longing to

Wanna run with the wild horses 

Run with the wild horses}

Alice’s POV

It turns out I had been in the Refuge’s hospital, unconscious for four days straight.  I was shot just once, but four inches to the right and I would’ve been dead.

Kind of makes you rethink your priorities. 

.

Like the fact that I’m healing twice as fast as any normal person should.  Like the face that Xavier is now a constant in my life, and I want him to stay there. 

Whoever said Stockholm syndrome was a bad thing? 

Oh, and yeah there’s that little thing where Xavier can read my mind.  Just pick out thoughts as if I had said them loud and clear as day.  He can’t read anyone else, because we tried with the various nurses and doctors. 

Lucky me. 

The doctors are calling me a ‘medical miracle’; they say that ballistic trauma takes weeks to heal and months of physical therapy after that just to be able to move. 

I can already lift my arm above my head and rotate it in a full circle. 

I am being moved back to the Tower today, for which I am grateful.  It is more painful to sit here and do nothing but stare at the plain white walls than it is to get up and move around.  I feel like a caged bird in here while the room slowly condenses around me. 

“I’m sorry you feel that way.” 

“Goddammit Xavier you really have to stop doing that.”  My voice is harsh, and the hurt in his eyes makes me want to take it back immediately. 

“Look, it’s time to head back to the Tower.  I brought you clothes to change into.  Are you ready?”  I hop out of bed, take the clothes, and head to the restroom to change. 

Two days ago I was covered in bruises.  Now my skin is back to its normal peachy color with only the slightest discoloration and scarring where the bullet entered and exited through my shoulder.  The jeans are dark washed and skinny.  They are paired with a loose grey off the shoulder t-shirt, showing my circular scar.  There are Sperry’s for me to wear also.