Chapter 19- DNA

A warning to the people

The good and the evil

This is war

To the soldier, the civillian

The martyr, the victim

This is war

It's the moment of truth and the moment to lie

The moment to live and the moment to die

The moment to fight, the moment to fight, to fight, to fight, to fight

To the right, to the left

We will fight to the death

To the Edge of the Earth

It's a brave new world from the last to the first

~ This is War

~Thirty Seconds to Mars

Alice’s POV

“You have got to be kidding me.”  I didn’t realize I had said it out loud until Lucifer starts laughing right in my burning face. 

“No I assure you, we are twins.  Now come on, we have some business to discuss.”  He turns to leave and I follow without complaint.  It is no use to try and run away.  He would catch me in an instant and I really have no other option at this point but to follow him. 

The hallway is much like the compound I first stayed at.  Doors line both sides, their numbers decreasing as we walk down the hall.  The sterile and boring walls grate at my senses; the chatter of people comes from rooms.  Lucifer must be the leader of this coven. 

We pass the dining hall and I peer in.  Beautiful women are walking around in outfits similar to mine, serving the various Ys who are seated around the room.  While I may have felt uncomfortable in my skimpy lingerie, these women seem completely comfortable in theirs. 

But they don’t look happy. 

The Ys are calling out rude insults and touching them the whole time.  Most of the women have this detached expression on their faces that absolutely breaks my heart.  It’s like they’re, they’re… “Sex slaves,” I blurt out, eyes widening with horror.  Lucifer laughs, a high, ringing sound that sends the hair on the back of my neck sticking up. 

“We prefer the term ‘human companions.’”  He makes finger quotes over the ‘human companions’ part and I shudder.  These are the women my dad used to talk about.  They are kidnapped -for real- not because of a bond between a Y and a bride, but for pleasure. 

Lucifer grabs my waist and drags me along; I wince at his bruising fingers wrapped tightly around my side. 

We travel a ways down with Lucifer making lots of turns; it would be impossible for me to track my progress if I ever tried to escape.  Finally, Lucifer lets me go as we reach a pair of double doors.  I gently massage my sore waist, examining the bruises forming on my milky-white skin through the thin silk. 

“These are my private quarters.  You will live here for the duration of your stay at this compound.”  He takes out a slim keycard and inserts it into the door handle.  It gives a little click and swings inward.  I cannot see what is inside for the lights are off.