Chapter 17- Masquerade

Alice’s POV

“I am ashamed to say it, but I feel like a legit princess walking down here,” I whisper to Emma, who’s arm I am clinging onto for dear life.

“Shh, they’re staring,” she whispers back.  It is true.  There is total silence in the gargantuan room.  I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing at this point.  Every single person looks awestruck, which I hope is a good sign.  Still, you can never know.

I am probably breaking some huge-ass rule by not wearing white. 

We descend slowly, matching our steps to the soft music of violins and harps somewhere in the background.  I keep my head up and concentrate on my footing in these dangerous heels.  It would be horribly embarrassing to fall on my face in front of all these people. 

I look down as we reach the bottom of the staircase.  Xavier is there, waiting for me, along with Zack and Dimitri. 

As soon as I see Xavier, my heart starts beating twice as fast, and a jolt of lust shoots down to my core. 

Xavier extends his arm and I take it graciously, ignoring the sensations that escalate as we make bodily contact. 

Hushed whispers have broken out across the crowd at my appearance, traveling across the huge room in a wave.

“…not wearing white!”

“Don’t know what she’s thinking…”

“…so pretty…”

“Not the brightest idea…”

“…bright crimson!”

I grin at their comments and hold myself a little bit taller.  These people have absolutely no idea how shallow they all seem to be right now.  We travel to the center of the room and face each other as I step into Xavier’s arms.

It is tradition for the marrying couple to start the waltz, with more couples joining in after a few moments.  The music starts up, a gentle violin and harp melody, and I glide along easily enough with Xavier’s effortless direction. 

I look up into Xavier’s face for the first time and am struck by a sharp spear of lust.  He is so handsome in his tux and black mask.  His blue eyes are practically glowing out from behind the dark satin material. 

He leans down in my ear to whisper, giving me shivers.  I almost lose my steps in the dance but recover quickly.  “If you could please tamper down the urges for just another hour, I promise we will both get through this night.  Besides…” he trails off in a husky laugh and I unconsciously press my body closer to his.  “We can have our own little after party.  We aren’t expected to go to theirs.”  Xavier nods his head at the crowd encircling the dance floor.   

His hands are burning through the thin taffeta silk of my dress, or maybe that’s just because of my being in the want.  Either way, I feel as if I am about to spontaneously combust.