Chapter 9

"Wonderful girls. Now Juju I need you to grab Tessa's hand and walk toward center stage. Smile! Smile while you walk girls, you are going to be on stage!" Ms. Olivia called from the front.

"I wish that was the only job I had to worry about. Smiling," I said close enough for the girls around me to hear.

Jade, who was in the middle of wearing in a new pair of pointe shoes, made a mild noise of detest while Alice, who lay next to me on her left split, chuckled.

"Those were the days that we came in only mildly aware of what we were signing up for." Alice commented, making me nod.

"That was during the year Jade discovered black lipstick." I added.

"Best decision of my life," Jade commented from the back. Alice rocked back off her split and slid into her right.

"Didn't you try to walk in wearing said lipstick for class Jade?" Jade seemed to pretend that question was not asked so I turned to Alice and nodded.

"That was back when it was an only girl class." I added. Alice looked at me and grinned, knowing full well where this was going.

"Wait, so does that mean the boys, especially one boy in particular does not know how dark Jade is?" Alice asked in her fake little joking voice. I saw quick movement from behind me causing me to turn only to find Jade still doing releves only a little further away from the barre.

"Hmm. I wonder what said person's response would be if he did know how much black she wore." I replied happily to Alice. She frowned.

"Who are we talking about again? T-Tim, T-Tom.."

There were footsteps from behind us.

"I believe you are talking about Todd." I responded. No sooner had I said this allowed when two small hands gripped my shoulder blades and pushed down, causing me to fall into my left split. Due to the fact that I had yet to accomplish my goal in actually having a left split, it become understandable to say that I yelled... loudly.

This in turn caused Ms. Olive to whip around to see what the noise was about, as well as the entire studio.

What she saw was the following:

Me, whimpering on my side with both my legs tucked in like a little ball, next to Alice who had quickly gotten off of her right split with wide eyes trained upon Jade who stood with her arms crossed, her eyes bright with energy.

She was the first to notice how everyone's eyes were trained toward her causing her to quickly crumple away into the shadows of the room while Alice started rubbing one of my legs.

"I am not going to ask. Just please girls, indoor voices, this is not your home. And Jade, come out of the shadows. We need you here with Drew for the Party Children scene," Ms. Olive announced to the group of us.

Momentarily forgetting the pain I was in, I turned around to see Jade no very mortified.

"Go on then Clara. Time to dance with the children." I cooed, loud enough for Jade and the people around her to hear.

She glowed at me with an energy that I was not comfortable with seeing, before taking off her warm ups and walking to center floor with Drew, who looked utterly miserable.

I turned back to Alice who now had a tennis ball in her hand. Mouthing her a thank you, I took the ball and started to rub my inner thigh while watching the new group of dancers on the dance floor.

The Party Girls were normally girls who have been on Pointe shoes for over two years at least. This was always a pretty big deal to be in this scene when younger because until this moment, most of these girls have not partnered with any boys. But now, thanks to this scene, they have to.