Chapter Thirteen:

“Alright, what do you want for dinner Allie?” Jake says, rubbing his hands together to warm himself up.

“Mac n’ Cheese!” I say.

“Okay, show me where everything is and I’ll make it for you.”

I pull out the pasta and a pot and cheese and a wooden spoon.

“Anything else?” I ask.

“Just show me where the spices are, I have few secret weapons in my recipe for Mac n’ Cheese. You go find a movie for us to watch.” He says as he fills a pot with water to boil the pasta.

“Okay.”

I run into the family room. I feel like cleaning the whole house. I don’t know why but I’m on a rampage and I feel motivated to be productive.

I run back into the kitchen where I see Jake humming as he waits for the water to boil.

“Hey Jake…I’m gonna clean the house.”

“What?!?! Why?” he asks chuckling.

Gosh his laugh is cute.

“I don’t really know why. I just feel like cleaning and spending the weekend with you in a clean house.” I say, wrapping my arms around his torso.

“Well we might as well make it fun then, right?” he asks, hugging me back.

“Yeah.”

“Go turn on some music and let’s get to it. We will stop cleaning at 7:45. That gives us 45 minutes to clean. Then we will eat dinner and watch a movie.” Jake says.

“Sounds like a good plan.” I say, turning on the surround sound music system.

Your body by Christina Aguilera comes on. Damn.

Jake looks at me and winks. I skip off to the family room. I throw my little brother’s toys into the bin that holds his stuff. I rearrange the pillows so they sit neatly on the couch. Looking around the room, everything seems to be in place. Now for the mudroom; I hang the coats on the hooks and put the shows in a neat row on the floor. I put all my mom’s reusable shopping bags into one big one and hang it in the closet. I go back to the kitchen to check on Jake.

There he is, standing there stirring the pasta; his muscles in his arm flexing as he stirs. He turns around and sees me watching him.

“Hey Allie, how’s the cleaning going?” he asks.

“It’s going well. I think we should clean upstairs together. How much more time until the pasta is done cooking?”

“About two minutes. We could make out in the meantime.” He says.

“Very funny. Nice try.” I say, sitting on the stool by the counter opposite him.

“You know you want to.” Jake says, making his way over to the other side of the counter that I am sitting by. He leans forward, puckering up.

“Nah.” I say.

“Come on Allie.”

“No, we aren’t dating yet. I still have a lot of thinking to do and you have a lot of proving yourself to me to do. Maybe later.” I say, and with that, that pasta finishes cooking and the timer goes off.

“You’re right.” Jake says.

“I know I am.” I state bluntly. “Now go finish making the pasta.”

“Will you find me some pjs to wear?” he asks.

“Nah, you can just sleep in your boxers.” I say sticking my tongue out at him.