Friends & Futures

From Michael: Party @ Mine Friday Night. Please Come!

I was in the therapists waiting room. I stared at the phone in my hand. I had been staring at this one text all week. It was already Thursday afternoon, and I hadn't replied. I had always liked Michael. I had never had much to do with him, but he was always there. The thought of going to his party however was something I wasn't sure I could do.

The last party I went to didn't go too well, and I wasn't sure I wanted to be surrounded by a bunch of judgemental teenagers right now.

I walked into Amanda's office, having waited only ten minutes. I felt bad for having treated her so badly on my last visit, but I still wasn't sure I was ready to talk about this just yet.

"Hello Indie," She smiled at me, as I took the seat across from her, "How are you?"

"I'm.. better." I told her.

"Better?"

"Not fully," I explained, "I'm just... a little bit better."

She smiled at me kindly, before scribbling something on her notepad, and readjusting her glasses.

"You're making progress," She explained, "That's really good."

"It's day by day," I continued, "sometimes its a little easier, and sometimes it's a lot harder.. but I have some pretty great people in my life helping me through some things.."

"Tell me a bit about them," She prompted.

"Well, there's Luke, we broke up recently, but he's been great. He's been there through it all, and he's always making sure I'm okay."

"Was he the father?" She asked.

"I honestly don't know.. There's another guy.. Ashton. He stayed with me every night the week after it happened just to make sure I was okay.."

"Sounds like you have some great friends," She said.

"Yeah," I smiled, "I really do."

-------------

After an hour, I was leaving Amanda's office, feeling slightly freer then before. I wasn't sure if it had something to do with finally being able to speak openly about everything in my life, or realising that I had some truly amazing people in my life.. But either way, I was ready to take a leap.

TO Michael: I'll be there.

-----------

I had taken the Friday off school. My parents insisted on taking me to the hospital to get a check up. I was sure I was fine, but I decided to humour them.

By Friday night, Emily and Calum had come over to get ready with me. I had decided not to drink tonight, and so did they.

"That one's so cute!" Emily shrieked as I held up a plain white shirt.

Calum and I looked at each other slightly confused.

"Okay.. well it's kind of plain, but it'll definitely look cute on you.." Emily continued.

I paired the top with a short black pleated skirt and my white converse. Emily wore a floral jumpsuit, and Calum was in his usual black skinny jeans and a black nirvana top.

I was suddenly staring at myself in the mirror. Something I hadn't done much of lately. Emily came up behind me, fixing my hair as she did.

"You look beautiful," She told me.

I just gave her a kind smile back, until a loud sound made us jump. We spun around to see Calum on the edge of my bed strumming along on a guitar.

"Calum!" Emily yelled.