Rallies & Rebels

Ashton and I had once again stopped talking. But he was letting me choose the novel for our project. I decided on The Hunger Games. A simple enough concept, a wildly popular book turned movie series. I was planning on centering the essay around children at war. An old concept, with a modern post-apocolyptic twist.

Ashton made another snide comment on how we should make the essay focus on the love triangle, to which I once again informed him, I was never apart of one.

Thank-fully the essay wasn't due for weeks, which was a good thing because Lana had the Cheer-Squad after school, 3 days a week for an hour and a half.

I didn't mind cheer-leading practice though, cheer camp gave me more confidence, and cheering made me physically stronger, and was also the reason for my weight drop.

But cheer practice also meant I got to watch sweaty Luke run around on the football field. It was nice when I caught him looking at me too.

-------------

Thursday rolled around quickly, and Thursday night even quicker. I was in my freshly cleaned uniform, my light brown-going on blonde hair, tied up neatly with a bow, slightly more make-up than necessary, and gleaming white shoes.

The first Thursday of the school year, meant the first game of the season. A big night for Luke, and apparently an even bigger night for cheerleaders.. according to Lana.

"Lucy!" Lana yells, as she spots me walking over to the other cheer leaders in the middle of stretching, "Thank-god you're here, why are you so late? I said six sharp." She looks frantic.

I check my watch, "It's only six o' three."

"Exactly." She says, "You're three minutes late, I hope you warmed up at home, because we have to start cheering in--" she checks her own watch, "Now."

The rest of the girls all get up quickly from their warm up stretches, and we take our positions in front of everyone in the stands. It's our job to pep everyone up before the game. In my opinion, cheering in front of a bunch of people was the worst part about being a cheerleader.. and yet, it was the main part. As much as my confidence had grown with my cheering ability, I still had the same insecurities I always had, and having a bunch of people stare at me was one of them.

As we began our first routine, any ounce of confidence I had gained washed away as soon as I saw Ashton standing in between the bleachers, leather jacket on and flask in hand. He looked like he was hanging out with the stoner group. I could see Stoner Corey from a distance, and to my surprise, Emily and Calum were there too. Looking as though they'd rather be anywhere else then a stupid football game.

I tried my best not to notice Ashton as I continued with my cheers faulting every so often, because in the corner of my eye I could see him. Standing there, barely moving except when he went for a sip of whatever was in his flask. His eyes never leaving me...

----------------

When the game was over, our school was in a haze of bliss over our victory. Luke ran up to me, covered in grass stains and sweat, and kissed me passionately, before running off with the boys to hit the showers.

I had told Luke to come to my place when he was done celebrating with his friends. Most of the people at the game would go off somewhere and get drunk, but I was tired and not really in a celebratory mood.

"What the hell Lucy? Where is your head at? You messed up the simplest routine." Lana says with a harshness in her tone, crossing her arms as she stood toe to toe with me.

"Sorry," I say sheepishly, "It won't happen again.."

"No." She says, "It better not." Then walks off in a huff.

When I finally made it to the car-park it was almost deserted, with the exception of few cars, and some lingering people. I searched my gym bag for my keys, and wasn't paying attention when I ran straight into someone.

"Sorry," I said, before realising who it was, "Oh, it's you."

"Oh it's.. someone who looks a little like someone I used to know.."

"Really Ashton, you want to do this now? I'm tired and I want to go home.. and you're drunk." I say, noticing the smell of vodka on his breath.

"Yeah," he says, "remember when you used to be fun.. do you even remember how to have fun?"

"I know this conversation isn't fun, and I would like to get to my car," I struggle to get past him, "so if you would just get out of my way, that'd be great." I say with mock sweetness.

"Who are you?" He says, "Have you seen yourself lately? You're hairs reminiscent of Lana's, you're too thin, you wear way too much make-up.. and you're a cheerleader-- a cheerleader Indie. Indie Archer is not a cheerleader."

"You're right." I say, "But Lucy Archer is, and that's who I am now."

Ashton just shakes his head at me.

"Okay, what about you then huh? Mr leather jacket, long hair, slightly stubbly chin, flask in hand guy... What happened to Mr popularity, big time jock, all around arrogant, self-centred jerk-- oh wait.. you're still an arrogant, self-centred, jerk, only this time you're not a jock, and you have no friends." The whole thing is over as quick as it starts. I didn't mean to say it like that-- I don't even think I meant half of it..

"I was wrong," He says, taking another sip of his flask, "You're not a Lana clone.. you're much worse." With that, he takes off back in the direction of the stoner group, where Emily and Calum are waiting for him.

I almost feel like running after him and apologising, but that's something Indie would do.. not Lucy.

When I got home I noticed Luke had ditched the celebrating and was waiting for me, I went straight into his arms, needing to be embraced right now. I needed to feel loved.

I felt bad about everything. My cheering was off, I had gone too far with the things I said to Ashton, and on some level he was right.. Indie Archer was no cheerleader.. or is no cheerleader.. I guess I'm still trying to figure that out..

"Hey--" Luke says soothingly into my ear, "Are you okay?"

I snuggle further into him, "No," I admit.. "But I will be."

Hopefully.