Roads & Romance

It was Friday. The weekend was here, which meant my romantic weekend away with Luke was here. It had been a weird week ever since Luke found out I've been talking to Ashton. He was more protective of me than usual. I think he was trying to limit any potential time I could've been with Ashton.. not that Luke needed to worry, there was nothing there with Ashton any more-- he made that clear to me 3 months ago.

"Hey guys," Lana says to us as she walks over to my locker.

"Hey Lana," I smile at her,

"Hi," Luke Says, "I have to get to practice, but I can't wait for the end of school." He kisses me quickly before trailing off down the hall.

"Okay sweetie," Lana says, "I was willing to overlook the dramatic outfit change at the beginning of the week, hoping you were just having some mini mid-life crisis or whatever.. but you're a cheerleader.. why haven't you been in uniform.. all week?"

I knew this was coming. Ever since Tuesday morning when I had worn my old skinny jeans, I had been feeling slightly more myself, I was trying to cling onto that for as long as I could..

"Sorry Lana.." I begin, "It's been a hard week-- I promise next week I'll be back to normal." And by 'normal' I really meant, I'll fall back into your conventional standards and be the person I now realise I loathe, rather than actually being an original member of society...

"Great!" She says cheerfully, and linking my arm with hers as we make our way down the hall, "Sooo, I hear you're off to Michael's cabin this weekend.."

"Ah-- yeah," I say awkwardly, "tonight actually.."

"Are you excited?" She says way too enthusiastically..

"I guess.. I don't know, I haven't really thought about it that much.."

"Okay, well I got this for you-- just in case." She pulls out a small coloured packet, that I recognise as a condom, similar to the ones Witty handed out in health class last year.

"Oh-- um.." I say awkwardly, but Lana quickly shoves it into my skinny jeans pocket as discreetly as possible.

"Trust me," She says, "You'll need it."

----------------

Art Class. The last class of the day. I had been anxious all day about my romantic get away with Luke. Luke was my boyfriend, and I loved him, and we had been talking about this for the longest time.. But I couldn't help but think that the last time.. my first time was with Ashton.. Everything I knew about sex was with Ashton.. You don't just forget something like that..

The bell rings, and our teacher reminds us that formal is in a weeks time, to which everyone gets excited about, but honestly I could think of nothing worse. A formal was just another excuse for the popular girls to dress like skanks and drink cheap wine, before flinging themselves on whatever eligible jock was around.. Formals were never my thing.. but I guess they are now..

------------

"Hey beautiful," Luke says.

He, Michael and Paige are all waiting out the front of school for me, and Luke gives me a quick kiss as we hop into the back of Michael's car. We had all stored our things in Michael's car at the beginning of school, so we could leave straight away since it was a three hour drive.

"You guys ready?" Michael says from the front.

As ready as I'll ever be...

---------------

We get to the cabin just after six. It is literally in the middle of nowhere. The closest cabin is all the way down the road, at least 10 miles away. But it is super gorgeous out here, and totally private. The trees tower around us creating our own canopy, it smells like the rainforest, and the old wooden cabin is the cutest thing I have ever seen.