Juniors & Jocks

Luke stirs on my left side as the alarm clock goes off to begin the day. Not just the day, but the beginning of a new school year. Junior year. The year I completely forget about Ashton, and continue having my incredibly PG-13 rated relationship with my loving boyfriend Luke.

It took 4 weeks of intense cheer-leading camp, 67 make-out sessions with Luke, 2 weeks at my families beach house, 30 hours of Art class, and my weights consumption in alcohol to put the memories of Ashton behind me. He wasn't going to dictate my life this year. New year, New me.

...Hopefully...

"Morning beautiful," Luke finally says, as he pulls me in for a morning cuddle. Something I had gotten incredibly used to over the Summer. I lingered in his arms for a moment. But Summers over. No more laying in bed til noon.

"Come on," I say, pulling the blankets off us, "School."

Luke groans, trying to pull the covers back up, but I pull them away from him before he can.

"You have football practice, Mr. Captain of the football team." I say smugly as I take out my black and red cheer-leading uniform.

"Thanks for reminding me," he groans, finally pulling himself out of my bed.

He walks over to me, in nothing but his boxers and kisses my cheek quickly before pulling on his jeans and white shirt from the day before.

"I better get home and change then-- see you at school" He says, leaving one last kiss on my cheek.

When he leaves, I stare at my reflection for a moment. I had my hair lightened over the summer, dropped some weight, and bronzed my skin. All improvements on my overall look, but somehow, I feel so far away from the person I used to be... I haven't decided yet if I like this version of myself.

I put on my uniform, and slick my hair into a neat pony tail before tying it up with a ribbon. If I'm going to be a cheer-leader I'm going to play the part convincingly.

_____________

When I get to school, Lana and Paige are already waiting by my locker for me. They greet me with the usual enthusiasm and quick hugs I got used to at Cheer Camp. Emily and I haven't spoken much since the end of School. She got busy in her relationship, and I got busy changing my life.

"Sooo," Lana draws out in her annoyingly high pitched voice, "are you guys excited for formal?"

"So excited," Paige responds almost immediately.

Honestly, I hadn't really thought about formal that much. But I guess that's what girls like Lana and Paige... and me.. are concerned about.

"It's not for like 5 weeks.." I say, earning confused looks from them, "I mean-- sooo excited," I fake a big smile.

"Oh yay!" Lana squeals, "So, we have to go dress shopping together, there's no way I'm clashing with you two.."

"Good idea," Paige agrees.

"Uh, sounds good.." I nod.

"But Lucy, you have to look extra hot." Paige says.

"And why's that?" I say, taking some books from my locker.

"Because it's formal, and you're going with Luke..." She says, and Lana nods, like they're having some secret telepathic conversation, because I have no idea why going to the formal with Luke means I have to look extra hot..

"Luke's a virgin." Lana says, like I should know what she means, she must notice my confusion, "Honey, Formal is like the prime opportunity for... you know" she wiggles her eyebrows, "de-flowering..."

Paige nods, and I almost choke on thin air.

Thank-fully the bell rings to signal the beginning of school, and officially the start of a new year.

"Gotta go," Lana says as she and Paige give me quick hugs, "And don't forget, cheer practice after school, big game Thursday!"

"Wouldn't miss it.." I say, trying to reel down from the previous conversation.

Luke and I hadn't talked much about taking our relationship to the next level.. I think on some level he still feels weird about the fact I slept with Ashton, while I was dating him...

But I watch as Lana and Paige make their way down the hall to there first classes, twirling their skirts and flipping their hair as they go. It's going to be a long year...