Chapter Fourteen: The Note With No Name

I find myself laying awake in my bed all night; too wired up from the sugary Ravenclaw cake. I feel completely exhausted but my body refuses to drift off into sleep. By the loud sounds of heavy breathing, I can tell everyone else is out cold - especially the wanna be Slytherin princess. Earlier that evening, Teddy was telling me about how James doesn't really like Leonna while we were eating cake. I told him I obviously knew that already, but in the back of my mind, it felt that James did like Leonna. Why is this bothering me so much? People will probably think I have a crush on him... And this is where I feel like I'm in second grade again. I'm not into the whole relationship lovey dovey crap - it's just not my thing. If people start thinking that, I guess I'll just have to set them straight. Maybe the only reason why I hate this is because I hate Leonna with a pure passion. I wouldn't want Jame getting hurt by her. But why am I so bloody worried? James could handle almost everything by himself. This whole Leonna thing is getting ridiculous. 

Thump, thump, thump

My thoughts suddenly become dismissed by a knocking sound. I shift my eyes from side to side curiously, wondering if someone is at the door or if someone is sneaking around the common room. My guesses are both wrong. To my surprise, the thumping sound is coming from the window. I slowly slide out of my silk sheets and slip into my red cushion slipper. Trying my best to not be seen or heard, I tip toe to the closest window where the thumping continuously knocks. Senna flips from one side to another on her bed, a long drawn out moan escaping her lips. I give her a quizzical look before reaching the glass window. A blurred outline of a black figure stands at the window. I narrow my eyes curiously, trying to make out the figure... A person? No... A bird. An owl.. Lyle? My owl? I grab onto the handle and lift the window. A cool draft hits me, causing my skin to tingle with a shiver. 

A black feathered owl stands on the window sill with a note attachedto it's leg.. This for sure is not Lyle. Lyle is dark brown owl mixed with light brown and a bit of white. This owl looks ragged and has one blue eye and one clear eye. It's feathers are dark and somewhat dirty. I stare at it in alarm, thinking this bird is probably for someone else. Who would be writing to me? No one other muggles know I'm a witch except for Mel - who I know for sure wouldn't have an owl. There is no one else... The Potters bird is all white named Hedwig The Second and the Weasleys owl is all brown with different patterns named Crez. Other than that, no one knows me. 

I back away from the window, yet the bird hops right in and hoots loudly. "Shh!" I hiss, bringing my finger to my lip. Should I take the letter? Or should I shoo the bird? Taking a moment to think, I finally reach out for the letter. "Is this for me?" I ask, thinking the bird will talk back.. "Why am I talking to a bird?" I add idiotically. "Stop talking to yourself, Audrey" I growl. The small roll of parchment is wrapped up into a small triangle, intertwined with black string. The bird hoots loudly again, and I shoo it away out onto the window sil. Opening the parchment, I notice the hand writing isn't familar at all. It says: 

Audrey, 

I wouldn't be surprised if Nightwing sent this to the wrong person. After all, he is older than the books you study with at Hogwarts.

My eyes widen with fear. Who ever this person is know's who I am and where I go to school. I gulp with fear and take a seat on my bed, ignoring the owl Nightwing who continues to hoot. 

Enough about the owl, though. I only have a certain amount of ink to write with, so I'd rather not waste what I have. I am here to inform you that you must stay in the Hogwarts castle. It isn't safe out there, Audrey. With all my well being, I need you to do this for me and do not go against this. 

Not safe? Hogwarts is the safest place there is! What is this person talking about? 

If you do.. Then well.. You will see for yourself. But please, take this as a warning. Stay in the castle... And if you can't, make sure you're around a teacher or some type of adult. I owe you, Audrey. This is me paying back.