Chapter 42 - The Dualities of Life 2

Sid felt his body frozen with fear, and his heart crumbled to hear all those tough time Nehali was going through. No doubt Nehali's an exemplary girl, and he deeply respected her for that. But what made his blood run cold was, when she told him about criminal charges on some local sleazebags, who regularly molest young girls. Yet police department hasn't taken any strict action against them. Some of them are even convicted rapists, but call it lawlessness or shame they are still roaming freely.

And those scumbags to whom Nehali taught a good lesson are just a few of many rascals. This was really a serious issue, where she was not safe at all. Naming her problems would be heart-rending: coming home late every night amid wolves under the bodies of human, no financial backup, no responsible dad, no sensible mother, and no safe house to live. But yet she was fighting and dealing with it all alone. No whining. No running away. What a dauntless girl she is!

This situation, however, landed Sid into a maze. He came to a conclusion that he shouldn't discuss about Bhagavad Gita with her. At least for now. Because neither things will allow her to understand it, nor it was the right time. Now it struck to him why Vedic scriptures also emphasize on four material goals of life: Dharma (moral values), Artha (economical progress), kama (sense gratification), and moksha (liberation). Proper balance between these four goals makes a society godly, so that they can understand the ultimate truth of life. Nehali's impediment for spiritual realization was related to artha, because of which she was unable to grasp whatever Sid told her.

"Would you had read Bhagavad Gita, if you didn't have a home to live in? How it will inspire me to read it, when I think of my father, who ran away with my own aunt? And now my mom, who wants to be in a relationship with our landlord, the man who just want to jump into bed with her?" Nehali rambled out all of her frustration, actually, she wanted to put Sid in her position by using "you." So that he can get the drift of her miserable situation. But she thought, he might be offended, if she'd used his mother and father's reference. Therefore, she burst out her own situation.

Nehali gazed at Sid, and she perceived that he was taken aback. Actually, this was the first time Nehali told him about her personal problems. She'd decided to speak about it on the day of his birthday, but back then things went astray. "Sid ... I don't have anything against your Bhagavad Gita, alright?" Nehali added to make sure Sid will not look down upon her.

"It's not my Bhagavad Gita. Lord Krishna spoke it five thousand years ago," Sid snapped. He would've laughed his head off at this witty reply. But he wasn't in that position to crack a joke because Nehali can beat the stuffing out of him for such insensitivity.

"Oh yeah ... I was just letting you know. You see, if I have financial stability like you do. If I have my own house to live, surely then, I will read it." Nehali managed to manifest a dim smile on her face as she looked at him eye to eye.

Sid's eyes lit up with this response and a large smile beamed across his face. All those drowning hopes seem to make their way up again. He believed that maybe there's something he can do. "How much money do you need for rental deposit?"

"It's too much, I need a month. There's a friend of mine, who can arrange some amount of it," Nehali replied. Unaware of what's bubbling up in Sid's head.

"Just tell me the amount!" Sid exclaimed.

"Um ... Seventy-thousand rupees, out of which twenty-thousand I have." Nehali thrown her hands in the hair and avoided an eye contact with Sid.

"Okay, fine." Sid looked at the time on his wristwatch, it was 8.15 PM. "Tomorrow, I'll bring the rest of the money to you. So you better get started with the shifting process."

"What!?" Nehali felt a lump in her throat. "No! Thank you, I'll manage. Don't take me as a crybaby, who's crying out for help, alright?"

"Just cut it out. You better be ready," Sid said. He stumbled backwards without turning around to walk, he waited for the final response to come, but Nehali was simply standing there, dumbstruck. So he turned around, almost running, and headed back to his home.