Chapter 6 - Holier Than Thou

Sid, Ravi, and Raj were in a restaurant to celebrate. They ordered food according to their own choices. Raj's face was glowing like never before, confidence ran through his body, and it was detectable from every word he uttered.

Viewing over his academic performance, in tenth grade, he had obtained forty-five percent, but now he leaped to fifty-eight percent in the final year of high school exams. His result had spread disbelief and awe across the faces of Sid and Ravi too. Being an average performer in the academic field from childhood itself, Raj had flunked in a few preliminary exams. Still, a big successful leap like this brought brightness in his eyes.

According to the Indian Education System, tenth to twelfth grade is a junior college and then start college.

Sid gave curt nods at every sentence said by Raj on his improvement. Sid took a sip of water from a glass on the table in between their talk.

On the other hand, Ravi was sick of Raj's self-glorification. "What happened to Nikhil, did he pass?" he inquired about changing the topic. Nikhil was a mutual friend of Ravi and Raj.

"Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you," Raj pressed his lips and then uttered, "he failed."

To say Ravi was not shocked would be an absolute lie; because Nikhil used to toot his own horn about how his exams were brilliant, and he will obtain A grade. That boasting always got on Ravi's nerves, and his heart used to burn in jealousy.

Sid was merely glimpsing at them, utterly disinterested in their conversation. "My mom chastised me for low grades." He tried to change the topic.

"You're not alone, bro," Ravi said. "But I'm happy, at least I'll be a college student now, or else I would have to work in my father's shop." His face turned fearful with the thought of working in his dad's shop.

Ravi happens to be born in a Rajasthani family, and they are popular in India for being frugal. Some conservative parents don't put much stress on their children's education; because ultimately, they are destined to join the family business. However, Ravi was entirely against this unsaid-yet-always-followed tradition. He just wanted to break free.

"Damn! You're such a nincompoop. Your dad is an established businessman, and your shops have an independent name in the market. Why on earth you don't whet your appetite in it?" Raj interrupted, secretly wanting to pound on his friend's head with a hammer for not taking advantage of that great opportunity.

Raj was interested in business. He didn't belong to a family who has a business background as Ravi did, that's what always made him jealous of Ravi.

Enraged, Ravi opened his mouth to answer this taunt and said, "Man! Just switch your life with mine for one month, and then do dare to repeat what you've just stated."

Raj forced a smirk on his face and said, "Whatever schmuck! I just want to be well-settled in my life. I have seen the worst financial crisis in my life."

Sid cuts in to stop them from arguing. "Guys, just imagine what an awesome life people like Eminem, Justin Bieber, Rihanna, and so on live. Fame, money, respect, and crazy fan following. Eminem is my role model; I worship him."

Being a devoted believer and also insensitive with his beliefs, agitation scurried through Raj's mind. He wasn't afraid to jump down his throat on Sid for worshiping Eminem. Sid was taken aback by this sudden repudiation because he didn't mean that he worships Eminem as God, but Raj took it as blasphemy.

Like every other youth, Sid was no exception to fancying some famous artists. At some point, however, he would agree that teenagers do treat celebrities as gods, but his case was different because he listens to Eminem's rap songs as stress-buster.