Chapter 25 - Corruption Within

The sky was painted in a dark color, resembling the ocean of black water. Because it was a rural area, therefore, the stars were glimmering quite often if you compare it to an urban city. Chirping crickets were spreading their cacophony noise in the atmosphere as far as ears could hear. But it wasn't as unpleasant as howling of wolves from the backyard forest. 

Sometimes some people, however, are more inauspicious than wolves. A local group of politicians gathered for a secret meeting. They all were corrupt, and everyone knows how much black income a corrupt politician has.

"How to acquire votes from the residents of Panchagavya?" a corrupt politician spoke up. Panchagavya was the name of that village, where the social welfare program was going on.

A nefarious brainwave came into one politician's head. "What if, we distribute free liquor bottles to all of them?"

Although this idea brought a gleam of hope on everyone's faces, the reality battered their minds because they know it's not a cake walk. Raghu Sen has turned whole slum alcoholic free. The leader of politicians dangled down his head with worry; he caught a glimpse of the faces of his companions who held similar gestures like his. Parting his lips into two, he tried to give voice to a suggestion of using the same old tricks of bribing. But Raghu Sen wasn't kind of a guy, who would give in even with a bribe of millions of rupees.

Within the twinkling of an eye, he fathomed that manipulating Raghu, under the pretext of sense gratification won't do. His virtue and honesty were far above the scope of falling for greed. "No! We can't bribe him. He's sincere and virtuous. Plus, he got a tremendous public support for his selfless work." Another politician stole the thoughts, which was exactly running through the leader's mind.

The real reason for this assembly was to plot against the NGO relief program. Early they use to distribute free liquor and get votes in return. Raghu Sen, however, frustrated of all these tricks. And tomorrow was the day for the local election, so anyhow the main politician wanted to grab the seat of district mayor.

The leader was aware of the fact that it's only one and a half month passed since the residents were non-alcoholic. Therefore, he has this intuition that they could fall for it by some titillation. But worst will come to worst, if Raghu figures out their wrong doings, he has that power to jab them all behind bars.

The leader caught a glimpse of his grief-stricken fellow politicians and disclosed his final plan. "We'll use same old tricks."

The plan was all set. Same old tricks were to appoint some representatives to distribute free liquors. The leader knew that Raghu would not maintain silence after knowing this conspiracy.

He decided to let those representatives go underground after they finished the job. Thoughtfully, he selected fifty strapping representatives to execute this plot and readied three trucks loaded with liquor bottles. The reason behind choosing these hefty representatives was that they could bully residents to drink alcohol if anyone denies.

*******

It was 6.00 AM. Three huge trucks loaded with liquor bottles entered into the slum area and halted with a screech. Technically, NSS students and NGO volunteers were resting in their center, which was far away from this area. So certainly they were all unknown of this scene. Representatives came out and divided themselves into three people per group. Each three representatives personally visited every house and tried to allure residents to drink alcohol and give a vote in return; they had carried a portal voting device with them.

Within some hours, almost everyone started drinking liquor. This time, even teens indulge themselves in drinking it. It was very horrifying to see how they got addicted to alcohol again. In one house, a wife pulls her husband by his arm, stopping him from indulging in drinking. "Just stop! Don't go. How will Mr. Raghu Sen feel, he did so many things for us, and now we are repaying him like this?" The deep disappointment was stretched across on her face as she caught hold of her husband's forearm.