Chapter 7 - Holier Than Thou 2

A gleam of hope glinted in Raj's eyes. He stood outside Sid's house, arms across his chest. His left leg slightly bent, and back pressed against the wall to take support. A peeved expression manifested on Sid's face as he caught a glimpse of Raj. Sid came at the door of his house. "Let's go, are you ready?" Raj asked.

A sigh blended with angst ran off from Sid's nose. He nodded, and both of them headed to the place where Raj wanted to have the meeting. Anxiety and nervousness were playing tug of war in Sid's mind; he was continually trying to put his consciousness into a tranquil state.

The place they were heading was not far; it was just a few blocks away. The house was on the second floor of a five-story building.

Both of them set foot in the house and caught sight of a youth sleeping on a single bed. He seemed to be around twenty-three years old, he was dark in complexion and wore a white t-shirt and black boxer. He got up from his bed as Raj and Sid came in.

Raj did the formal introduction part and told him further how he and Sid had engaged in the discussion about God all day. Name of Raj's friend was Kumar; he originally belonged to Bangalore city but now shifted to Mumbai in search of a job. Kumar was a working man and often executed some services in the church as well: preaching and management. The first question he asked Sid was, whom does he believe?

As if ready with an answer, Sid parted his lips into two to speak. He explained everything which he had earlier told to Raj: he didn't believe in God but followed Eminem and other inspiring personalities. But of course, Kumar retorted with the same argument, how can he think in a human with so many faults?

However, Sid was firm in his opinion that he never forced anyone to accept his way of understanding things. He tried to interject confidence in all of his statements to clarify his stand so that Kumar won't misunderstand him as a blasphemer. But still, his tongue wasn't giving him the exact eloquence to speak. Nervousness wormed its way into his heart.

Kumar cuts in every Sid tried to make a point. "You must worship God. Because God sent his only begotten son for us: to die for our sins—"

Sid was getting agitated and felt a rise of anger in him; he interrupted. "That's alright! But as I said to Raj, I don't find any relevance of God into my day-to-day life."

"I must tell you to accept Jesus Christ as your only savior and save yourself from going to hell." Kumar completed his sentence.

Sid came across the fact that Kumar and Raj are trying to convert him. So he thought it would be good to get straight to the point. "What if I didn't accept Jesus as my savior?"

"I'm afraid you shall go to hell for the rest of eternity." Kumar raised both of his eyebrows and spoke remorsefully.

Awe washed over Sid as this blunt reply entered into his ears. With some apparent reasons, he wasn't encouraged by this school of thought, he further inquired, "I'm a born Hindu. But what if I have faith in any of the Hindu gods or goddesses. Then, can I go to heaven?" His eyes twinkled to get a confirmation.

"Okay, lemme ask you. After your death, you've been stopped at the gates of heaven by Lord Jesus Christ and if he asked you. Why should he take you inside paradise? What will you reply?"

The double standards of this question checkmated Sid, and as he was about to open his mouth to speak, Kumar interrupted him. "Do you know my Grandfather was a worshipper of Hindu gods? Once he got infected by a deadly disease, we all prayed all night to different gods and goddesses to get him cured. The next day he died," Kumar became sentimental as he spoke up till the death of his Grandfather. Emotions choked his voice and overwhelmed him with instant grief. However, fixating his eyes at Sid's face, he demanded an answer. "Nobody came to save him. Why nobody came, Sid?"