Chapter 33 - Rise of Spiritual badass

Who are conquerors of the unconquerable?

Sid clicked on the search engine as he typed this sentence on Google. In a tick, various articles displayed similar names, but none of them attracted his attention. Tapping his finger on his chin, he mumbled, "Who are they?"

The alarm clock rang a soft tick-tick, tick-tick, tick-tick. It reads 12:00 A.M. Someone pushed Sid's bedroom door open. His mother yelped—not in anger—but with affection. "Happy birthday, sweetheart!" she squealed. His big brother and dad had also come along to wish him a happy birthday.

Sid's eyes lit up and a smile stretched across his face as he was almost forgetful about his own birthday. According to Indian tradition, he sought blessing from his mother and father by touching their feet. It's a traditional way of paying reverence toward elders. His mother hugged him tightly and gave him a kiss on his cheek. "Oh, my, my, you're nineteen now. I can't believe you've grown up." Tears welled up in her eyes, slightly smudging her mascara.

"Hey, you've forgotten to touch my feet!" Pratham teased by lifting his left leg up and pointing his index finger at it. Squinting his eyes shut, he managed to suppress a chuckle. Sid strongly reproved it. "Two words for you: get lost!"

These were actually playful the exchanges, because they were more like friends than brothers. Pratham came forward and hugged his little brother. Sid's bones literally squished in the tight hug. "Ow! Get your bulky arms off of me!" he pushed Pratham away.

The messages and phone calls were harassing Sid's mobile to give him birthday greetings. Catching sight of some, he saw it was Sara. Sid excused himself from his family and headed towards his bedroom's balcony. But halfway there, he turned around and said something to his dad. "Dad! Please hire someone to clean up the terrace. I wanna throw a party with my friends there." His dad nodded but reflected it as: did he order me or request me?

As soon as Sid step foot on the balcony he received the call. "Wishing you many, many happy return of the day, bestie," Sara yelled.

Sid formed a pleased smile on his bow-shaped lips. "Thank you so much! You guys have to come to my house tonight," he replied.

"Hell yeah! So tell me, I'm the one who wished you first, right?" Sara asked with great hope.

Sid did not wish hurt her. "Yes," he lied although he was receiving many messages from his other friends and relatives.

Sara hesitated on what she was about to say, she presumed that Sid would be enraged. "Ah, you know, actually Nehali told me to wish you a happy birthday on her behalf since you're not talking to her anymore."

Sid's nose crinkled as he heard the name Nehali. Even when they were conversing on phone, Sara sensed it with an instinct. Her bottom lip quivered as she caressed her silky brown hair. "Please, please, please let her come to your birthday party."

Of course, Sid didn't want to accept her request. He furrowed his eyebrows and after a great struggle he uttered, "If she wants to come."

"Thanks a ton, my birthday boy!" Sara jumped up, excitement chilling her spine. She wanted to hug Sid, but then she realized they had been talking on the phone.

*******

Sara batted her eyelashes as she applied mascara while Nehali was doing her hair. Both of them were getting ready for the party. The excessive fragrance of perfume was strong enough to burn nostril hair, but both girls were unaffected. Nehali stood in front in the mirror, placing her hands on her hourglass-shaped hips. "Do you think Sid will like me in this dress?"

Sara eyes scanned over Nehali's black polka skater dress and a mischievous smile took shape on her pink lips. "Woo-hoo! You still have a soft corner for him?"