Chapter 23

Chapter 23:

“Noah, are you joking?” I whispered to him, bending down to his level. I was extremely shocked at what he had done; it was completely unexpected. “It’s not good to joke around whilst I’m in the condition I am!”

“Of course not Rose. I am one hundred percent sure of what I am doing and believe I am doing the right thing. I love you Rose Holland, and would really like for you to become Rose Anderson.” He told me, still kneeling on the floor on one leg, the ring box open on the palm of his hand.

“But you’re not thinking straight! You can’t remember most of our time together!” I said, looking round to see everyone staring at us still, patiently waiting for an answer.

“But that’s the thing, I can remember! I came across some pictures of us together when we were teenagers. I was eighteen and you were seventeen; we met at the interview I was involved in. The pictures are of the after-party where I began to get to know you!” He replied, giving me extremely accurate information of our first meeting.

“Then there’s pictures of us on our first proper date, when I took you on a walk along the beach on the coast. Everything has come back to me; every single little thing!” He said, grinning at me as he wrapped his hands around mine. “I’d love for us to become a family.  You, Nate and our little one when the time is right.”

“I don’t know what to say Noah. I’m speechless.” I told him. I could feel all of the eyes still on me, waiting for me to answer. “I need to think about it.” I finally said, not missing the fall of his shoulders when I declined him.

“Oh, alright then. Tell me when you have an answer.” He muttered, pulling his hands out of mine.

It hurt to look at him, knowing I’d broken his heart. He stood up, gave his family a small smile and then walked out of the room.

Since I was seventeen, I had always wanted to marry Noah, but why did I say no? What had made me change my mind?

“Rose dear, would you like me to re-heat your food?” Angela asked me, motioning to the plate full of food sat in front of me, “It’s probably a bit cold.”

“No it’s alright thank you Angela. If you’ll excuse me,” I said, standing up and quickly walking to my room, trying ever so hard not to cry.

I sat on the edge of my bed and let my head fall into hands, sobbing my heart out. I sat there for ages, the only movement I did was to rub my bump when my baby kicked. It was getting closer and closer to my due date and I was become extremely nervous.

“You alright love?” I looked up and saw Angela stood in the doorway, her arms folded over her stomach. I tried to give her a small smile but failed. “Oh Rose.” She said, walking over to me and pulling me into a hug, my head resting on her shoulder.

“I don’t like seeing him hurt.” I cried as Angela rubbed my back soothingly, “and it’s even worse because I was the one who made him feel like that!”