Chapter 34: Tough People Die Too

"Mom!" Isabella stared, her mouth opening and staying like that.

"Honey, I'm fine," Emily held up a hand and walked towards Bella. "I just got hurt a little" Emily said. She had a sling on.

"did you break it?" Bella asked a bit confused.

When Emily reached her daughter, she went for a hug but Bella took a step back unsure of what to do and scared.

"It's okay, you won't hurt me" Emily said and put her arms around her baby.

"What happened?" Isabella cried.

"Let's get your mom settled on the couch," Derek suggested. He guided Emily to the couch and Isabella followed behind.

"What happened?" She asked again, now sitting down.

"Your mom helped arrest a serial killer," Derek replied.

"Mom" Bella said with tears in her.

"I'm okay, really baby" Emily said.

"You don't look okay" Bella said upset.

"We walked in to arrest a bad man and then out of nowhere he shot me in here" she said moving her hand to her shoulder.

"You got shot?" Bella asked. The kid looked terrified.

"Baby I'm okay" Emily said.

"Did you go to the hospital?" Bella asked and her eyes filled with more tears.

"Of course I did, baby," Emily replied, reaching out to pull Bella down onto the couch beside her. "Listen, I'm okay. I promise." She said and Bella just looked sad.
"look. I'm alright. I'll be just fine in a couple days" She said.

"Mom" Bella said trying hard to hold her tears in.

"Come here, baby," Emily soothed, pulling Isabella to her. She lied back into the huge couch, hugging Bella to her.

"What if something else had happened to you?" Isabella asked, almost a whisper.

"Nothing's going to happen to me, baby."

Bella lifted her head full of tears rolling and stared at her mother.

"Bells, this doesn't happen often," Emily assured her. "Derek got there so fast. He saved me." She said and Bella just shook her head, burying her face as a sob escaped her. Emily swallowed hard as tears filled her own eyes.

It took a while before Isabella's sobs quieten. Emily just continued to strike her hair.
"Shuuuu shuuuu. It's okay. I'm okay" Emily kept saying.

After a while Isabella's crying stopped. Emily could feel her face wet from crying too. She just hated seeing her daughter like that.

"Let's go up honey" Emily said and Bella stood up.

"I'll be here" Derek told Emily who nodded.

Emily put her arm around Bella's shoulders and they headed up and laid on Emily's bed.
Isabella's face was killing her inside.

"I'm gonna stay here, okay?" Bella said.

"Okay" Emily said.

"I'm just gonna get something" Bella said and headed to her bedroom.

When she got there Derek was sitting on her bed going through a book.

"Where is she?" He asked the girl.

"She went to bed" Bella said almost a whisper.
She walked to the bed and grabbed her blanket.

"Bella" Derek said and the girl looked at him.