Chapter 18

AN: Hi!! Thank you so much for reading my story, it means a lot. Please remember to vote and comment. :)

As soon as I step outside I'm greeted by the crisp winter air. I walk quickly across my driveway and into the warmth of Kenneth's car. I'm not sure why he would be calling me in the middle of the night to go on a drive and talk but this sense of the unknown excites me in a way it hasn't before.

"Hey you," Kenneth says as soon as my seatbelt is buckled.

"Hey you," I reply immediately.

"Sorry for waking you up so late, I just couldn't wait to tell you at school," Kenneth replies slightly embarrassed.

"No, it's fine. I wasn't even asleep yet," I lie. The truth is anything that involves Kenneth is perfectly O.K. with me, even if it involves waking me up at 11:43.

"You're lying," Kenneth says, his lips twitch up in a playful smirk.

"O.K. Fine I lied. But I'm here so what did you have to tell me?" I ask.

"Not yet, we're going on a drive first," Kenneth says quietly

"To the harbor?" I ask.

"To the harbor," Kenneth answers.

A calm sense of familiarity envelopes me. When ever we go on a drive we usually go to the harbor. This sense of familiarity gives me comfort when everything is still up in the air.

"You ready?" Kenneth asks me as he pulls out of my driveway.

"Of course," I reply immediately.

The drive to the harbor is quick and silent. Kenneth keeps fidgeting in his seat. It's different to see him so anxious, I wonder what he has to tell me.

I rest my head against the window. I quickly catch sight of the harbor and recognize the road we took four days ago. I remember the first time Kenneth took me to the harbor, it was many months ago. So much has happened, so much has changed. Kenneth parks his car on the grass and takes out his keys.

"Every time we're here the sky just gets more incredible," I say looking up at the sky in awe.

"Yeah, it does," Kenneth whispers to me.

"You really can see the stars clearly from here. There's nothing in the way. Just limitless possibilities," I breath while staring up at the night sky.

"O'Connell as much as I love looking up at the sky, there's something I really need to tell you," Kenneth says anxiously.

"Right, sorry," I mumble awkwardly. I totally forgot Kenneth called me so late because he has to tell me something.

"You asked why I was ignoring you lately," Kenneth begins.

"Yeah," I answer not really sure where he's going with this.

"The thing is, well, I was coming to terms with who I am," Kenneth says looking at me in the eye. "I'm gay. And I like you. I ignored you because I was afraid. Now that I know like you it opened up a door that terrified me. I never liked another boy before. I never knew that was a possibility for me," Kenneth continues.

"Kenneth it's O.K. I understand," I say cutting him off.

"No, I have to say this," Kenneth says interrupting me. "I felt a connection to you from the very first day. The first time you walked into class. I was so grateful that you offered to tutor me in calculus. I realized that I love you O'Connell," Kenneth confesses.

"I like you a lot too Kenneth but it's way too soon to know if you love me or not," I say. I can feel my face heating up with a blush.

"I do. I love how you offered to help me in calculus when you didn't have to. I love how you stuck with me even though I have so many problems. I love how you stayed and put up with me whenever I lash out," Kenneth says as he closes the gap between us.