Chapter 8

AN: Thank you to everyone who read the last chapter, I really appreciate it! Yesterday was my birthday so that was exciting! Remember to vote and comment! :)

I walk across the lawn to my house and quietly climb up the stairs, it's 9:30 at night and my parents are asleep. When I get to my room my phone vibrates with a text from Rachel.

I unlock my iPhone and read her text, "So how is your study session going?"

"It went really well, I just got home actually," I reply immediately.

30 seconds later my phone rings, Rachel is calling me.

"Grant! Spill the details," Rachel says excitedly.

"We just studied, it was nice..." I tell her.

"And...." Rachel replies impatiently.

"I forgot to eat before hand so he made dinner and then we danced to Adele in the refrigerated light," I tell her quickly.

"Awe, that's so cute! That's sounds like a date," Rachel says jokingly.

"Nope, not a date. We're just friends, remember?," I tell her.

"Well, it sounds like a date, what did he say when you finished helping him study?" Rachel asks curiously.

"Before or after he made me climb out his window?" I ask her sarcastically.

"You had to go out the window?" Rachel asks me.

"Yep, I had to do it last time too. Apparently his dad is really strict about having people over," I tell her.

"Mhhh. That's weird but O.K. So what else happened?" Rachel asks me.

"He just said he had fun and told me goodnight," I tell her seriously this time.

"At least you know you'll be great friends," Rachel says awkwardly. She really thinks that Kenneth and I will get together. We won't, I know we won't so being his friend is the next best thing.

"Yeah, anyways, it's getting late, goodnight Rachel," I mumble tiredly into the tiredly.

"Goodnight Grant, talk to you soon," she says hanging up the phone.

I walk across my room and close my curtains. As I'm closing them I catch a glimpse of Kenneth. He's sitting in the large oak tree by his window. I open my window and call his name.

"Kenneth," I say poking my head out the window.

He doesn't answer, he just continues to stare up at the sky, looking at the tree branches, fiddling with the dead leaves.

"Kenneth," I say again, this time a little louder.

Kenneth looks at me and waves. "Hey O'Connell," he says quietly.

"Are you O.K?" I ask.

"Yep, I just come out here to clear my head," he replies still looking up at the branches that extend out into the sky.

"O.K. Good night," I tell him closing my window. I shut my curtains and crawl into bed. That was a different side of Kenneth too. He seemed distant, almost sad. I soon drift off into a peaceful sleep.

"BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!" My alarm clock blares waking me up. I press stop and slowly get out of bed. After eating breakfast with my mom I start my car and drive to school.

"Hey Walter," I say sitting in my seat. Walter still looks a bit off but I don't say anything.

"Oh, hey Grant," Walter says quietly.