Chapter 15

AN: Hi! Thank you so much for reading, please remember to vote and comment!! :)

You're my best friend.

The words echo over and over in my mind. I'm his best friend. I am Kenneth's best friend! Everything I could have hoped for happened. A sense of calm relief washes over me. I stare up at the fan and listen to the steady rhythm of Kenneth's breathing, soon I drift into a peaceful slumber.

I am awakened by sunlight shining through the window. I sit up to close the curtains but I catch sight of Kenneth sleeping on the air mattress. I'm afraid to get up in case I wake him up, I want to keep watching while he sleeps. That may sound creepy but he looks like a sleeping angel. I soon drift off to sleep again.

This time I am awakened by the sound of my mom's voice.

"Grant, Kenneth, wake up. It's 12:40," my mom calls out quietly.

"O.K. We'll be down in a minute," I reply getting up and stretching.

I walkover to the air mattress and shake Kenneth's shoulder. He doesn't wake up.

"Kenneth, Kenneth wake up," I whisper quietly, gently shaking his shoulder.

"What?" Kenneth rasps while rubbing his eyes.

His sleepy voice is so cute. "It's time to wake up. Come on, there's breakfast downstairs," I whisper.

We both walk downstairs to the kitchen. My mom made pancakes and waffles. She always makes pancakes and waffles on New Years Day.

"Happy New Year's," my mom says excitedly when we walk into the kitchen.

"Happy New Year's kiddos," my dad adds.

"Happy New Year's," Kenneth and I say in unison as we sit down at the kitchen table.

We sit and eat our breakfast. I eat pancakes while my mom, dad and Kenneth decide to eat waffles.

"So do you guys have any New Year's resolutions?" My mom asks as soon as she finished eating.

"Um, no, not really," Kenneth says awkwardly.

"Oh, that's O.K." My mom replies kindly. "Grant, any New Year's resolutions?" My mom asks me.

"Nope, none," I laugh. "I don't like making resolutions because I always break it," I say seriously this time.

"Well for my resolution is to not work as much," my dad adds jokingly, he's always at work.

"I should probably head home now, it's 1:17 and who knows what state my house is in," Kenneth says changing the mood of the room.

"Right. Well, if you need anything at all please, let us know," my mom says giving Kenneth a warm hug.

"Thank you Mr. and Mrs. O'Connell," Kenneth says kindly.

"Kenneth, call me Sarah," my mom replies.

"You can call me Richard," my dad says giving Kenneth a friendly handshake.

"I'll walk Kenneth to the door," I say getting up from the table.

We walk down the hall and towards the entry hall.

"I had a great time, thanks for letting me stay over," Kenneth says once we're outside.

"Of course," I reply immediately. "I'm glad you had fun. If you ever need an escape from your dad you're welcome to come over any time," I add kindly.