Chapter 5

AN: Thank you for reading, voting, or comment on the last chapter!! Please remember to vote and comment!! :)

I've been at Lincoln High for about three weeks and winter break was quickly approaching. During that three week time period I found a few friends to talk to in all of my classes, I started to learn my way around school campus and didn't need Walter to escort me to all my classes. I really started to feel like I was fitting in. Eating lunch with Emily and Grace became the new norm. Sometimes Walter would stop by and chat for a few minutes but he'd always go back and eat with his friends. Grace would still freak out and act awkward every time he said hi and would be in a daze every time he left. Walter didn't seem to mind, in fact it looked like he pretended not to notice, it was actually pretty cute.

During chemistry today, Mr. Johnson assigned a lab. They're are usually pretty easy so I wasn't too worried but this time we got to chose our own partners. This lab gave me a mini heart attack because I expected everyone to already have a partner they wanted to work with, leaving me to work alone.

"Grant, do you want to be lab partners?" Walter asks me, completely catching me by surprise.

"Uh, yeah, totally," I try to say nonchalantly. I'm freaking out, he asked me to be his partner. I'm not working alone, this is awesome! Walter really doesn't have to be this nice of a guy.

We begin our chemistry lab which was to create a chemical reaction, draw a diagram that demonstrates the atoms moving, and write an essay explaining the lab and what we learned based off of our chemical reaction. It sounded very tedious and if you ask me a little unreasonable. Thankfully Walter is good at taking charge and gave me a set of directions to follow. He made everything sound a lot easier and it made me really glad I was friends with someone who excelled in chemistry.

After chemistry I go off to Econ, and then to art. Art went by as usual, Emily, Grace and I talking while pretending to work. We are constantly reprehended by Mrs. Lawrence to talk less and draw more, but we never listen.
Lunch and the rest of the day went by fairly quickly and soon it was time for calculus.

In the middle of Mrs. Neil's lesson Kenneth casually strolls into class late...again. Today he was wearing a blue flannel and jeans. Even when he's dressed so simply he still manages to look like a model. I always catch myself staring at him, the way his short curls bounce as he walks, how the fluorescent lights in the class room manage make his green eyes look a little greener. We never really talk unless I'm explaining an equation or theorem to him, so sometimes I pretend to loose my pencil so I can ask to borrow one of his as an excuse to talk to him.

Today when the bell rang Mrs. Neil asked Kenneth to stay behind so she can talk to him. I'm usually the last one to leave the class so I overheard part of their conversation.

"You wanted to speak with me?" Kenneth asks Mrs. Neil as he walks up to her desk.

"Kenneth, I hate to say this but you're failing my class. Pretty soon I'm going to have to talk to Coach Armstrong about this," Mrs. Neil explains.

"No, please don't do this Mrs. Neil. I can get my grade up," Kenneth says smiling reassuringly.

"The grading period is ending soon and you need to be passing all your classes in order to play in the final game," Mrs. Neil states factually.

"I can't fail this class, Mrs. Neil, I can't miss the football game," Kenneth says slightly panicked.

"All I can say is that you better get your grade up fast. You need at least an 82 on the winter final to pass this class," Mrs. Neil tells him.

"I can do it! I promise I can do it!" Kenneth says quickly.

"Study hard, do your homework and you may have a shot. I would really hate if you weren't able to play in the final football game due to one failing class," she says sympathetically.