Chapter 12

AN: Thank you so much for reading!! Please remember to vote and comment!! :)

I walk across the lawn like a zombie. My head hurts, my heart hurts, my body aches. All the adrenaline that the alcohol provided has now left my system. I open my front door and silently creep up to my bedroom. As I close my bedroom curtains I see Kenneth sitting in the tree gazing up at the stars. I want to open my window and scream at him. Tell him how cruel he is. As much as I'd love to do that I just can't. I knew from the second I saw him he will never leave my mind and that I can never really be angry, I should have known better. I should have known better than to fall for someone like Kenneth, because let's face it, he could never love someone like me.

I numbly climb into bed and drift off into a dreamless sleep.

I am awakened by a nasty headache and I'm pretty sure I have a fever. I slowly get up and drag my self to my bathroom. I groan as I gag into the toilet. My hands are clammy and my body is feverish.

"Mom I think I have a fever," I grumble as I walk in the kitchen.

"Oh dear, let me check," my mom says resting her hand on my forehead. "Oh my God Grant your burning up!" She exclaims dramatically.

"Calm down, I'll be fine. It's just a fever," I groan. My mom always freaks out whenever I'm sick, this is nothing new.

"Just a fever?! Just a fever?! You go back upstairs and lay in bed. I'll make some soup, you need to get better as soon as possible," my mom says quickly.

"Mom, I'll be fine, I'm sure I'll be fine in like a week," I say trying to calm her.

"No, we don't have a week. I was waiting to tell you because I wanted it to be a surprise but I guess I'll just tell you now," my mom says playing with the wooden spoon near the oven.

"Tell me what?" I ask.

"Well, it was supposed to be a surprise," she begins. "Rachel and her family are visiting for the holidays, they wanted to continue our New Year's party tradition so they're flying out after Christmas to come and visit us," she gushes excitedly.

"Oh, mom! That's great! I can't wait, I haven't seen her in forever," I say excitedly. "Can I invite some of my new friends to the New Year's party, I know Rachel's been dying to meet them," I say.

"Only if you're better by next week. And the only way that'll happen is if you get plenty of rest, so go up to your room and lay down," my mom orders.

"I really think I'll be fine, I don't want to be stuck in my room all day," I complain. 

"Bed now, before you get us all sick," my mom says waving her cooking spoon in the air.

"Fine," I laugh as I leave the kitchen and walk back up to my bedroom.

When I get back to my room I check my phone, I have one new message from Emily.

I unlock my phone and read the text, "You wanna hangout or are you too hungover?"

"Can't, I'm sick. I have a fever," I reply into my phone.

"That sucks, maybe we can hangout later during the break," Emily replies.

"Yeah. By the way, Rachel from Cali is coming to visit during New Year's and we're having a dinner party if you want to come," I type.