Chapter 12

Walk With Me

Evelina made it back to Storybrooke's central. She didn't want to head back home, but she didn't really have much of a choice. She didn't want to face Pan alone if he ever did decide to show up. Once was enough.

The wind was cold, but Evelina didn't feel it. She also didn't notice the trial of ice she had left behind with every step she took. Every time her feet graced the floor, a new patch of ice formed, and with every inch of ice, it led straight to where Evelina was. An easy way for Pan to track her down.

As she passed Gold's Shop, something in the window caught her attention. Evelina stopped instantly in her walk and turned sharply towards the window. It was a necklace with a single charm in the form of a pretty snowflake, with a silver-blue diamond in the middle. Evelina stared at the display window. She narrowed her eyes at it as if trying to remember where she had seen it before, but her memory was blurry.

Evelina took once last glance at the necklace before she started speed walking down the streets again, this time, the trial of ice gone.

The necklace reminded her of her father, and it made Evelina sad as realization finally hit her. Thanks to Pan, she wasn't ever going to be able to leave town, meaning she wouldn't be able to see her dad unless something was done.

And another thing she realized was how were the Charming's planning to send her away? Without Pan's consent, there was no way anyone could leave Storybrooke.

And of course, he wouldn't ever let her leave.

Evelina was only mere steps away from the familiar building when she felt a gust of wind hit her.

She stopped and knew she was not alone anymore. She visually stiffened.

"No need to be afraid love. It's just me." His familiar dark voice rang and Evelina slowly turned around.

"That's the perfect reason to be afraid." Evelina retorted and light snowflakes began to fall from above her head.

"Dear, dear, Evelina Frost, how stupid you are indeed. First, running away from home into a dark forest while a 'demon' runs the place? And not telling anyone where you were heading... tsk tsk." He said while getting closer to Evelina. She turned sharply towards the door of her building and tried to open it, but Pan locked it with magic.

Evelina frowned at him, but she didn't feel fear. Or so she thought, for Pan knew better because the snowflakes softly falling on her head gave her completely away.

"Take a walk with me."

"Absolutely not," Evelina said and was about to start running down the street when a tight hand clasped on her pale arm. Pan clutched onto her, making her stay in place and she winced from the pain.

"It was not an offer, it was a command." He sneered and Evelina noticed his usually green eyes were now a dark black, making the snow above her head thicken. Pan let go of her arm and began walking away, and Evelina had no choice but to follow.

She glanced down at her hand. A purple bruise was beginning to form, and she cringed at the sight. She slowly placed her hand on top of the bruise and began to cool it off, hoping it wouldn't worsen.

"Your father... he's a Guardian, right?" Pan asked as he peered at Evelina from the corner of his eye. The young girl had no idea why Peter Pan was so interested in her family roots but thought nothing of it as she nodded.

"Yes, he is the Guardian of Winter and Fun. Visits me every winter and I go with him on a trip around the world to bring snow days everywhere." She said with a soft, yet happy voice. Pan noticed the perk in her voice and immediately grew annoyed. He didn't want the girl to be happy unless he had caused it. But so far, he knew he had failed in that specific department.

"And your mother?"

"Don't know. Back when I was a toddler, I was in the care of Queen Primrose of Corona, my great aunt. But when she passed away, my father had taken me back to this realm where he worked. He then realized a working guardian couldn't take care of a child, so he left me with the Charming's. Technically I have never met my mother." Evelina poured out some feelings she had cooped up and she wondered how the supposed monster managed to get her to spill her secrets. He didn't affect her in any way, yet she willingly began to answer his questions smoothly. Was it his voice? Evelina could not deny she liked hearing his voice. She had always found British people fascinating.

"Interesting. So, your mother is the queen of Arendelle?" Pan pressed on.

It was at that moment that Evelina grew stiff. She suddenly didn't want to speak of her mother, especially not with Pan. So she narrowed her eyes and clammed her mouth shut. She continued walking at his side but didn't say anything about the subject of her mother. Pan definitely noticed and frowned.

"Answer me, Evelina."

She didn't.

"Evelina, I swear..."

"I don't want to talk about her."

"But I asked you a question."

"Yes well, I never said you were going to get an answer." Evelina snapped as her face suddenly began to turn hot and red. The wind around her began to increase, and spikes of ice began to form in the trees that were nearby them.

Pan noticed them and huffed, for he knew he couldn't get Evelina all worked up. She would end up freezing everything he had worked so hard to create. He simply couldn't allow it.

So instead, Pan stopped walking and took a couple steps back from her.

And Evelina never noticed Pan had left her side until she had arrived at the door of her building once again.

~

She didn't go inside the loft. She stayed outside, on the stairs. She was too sad to move. The conversation she had with Pan earlier about her mother had impacted Evelina more than she could have imagined. Evelina didn't have memories of her mother, and the ones she did were blurry and had occurred ages ago to the point where Evelina couldn't even recall what was going on.

It made her realize that even though she had her dad, there was no one like her. No other girl with ice powers besides her mother and her mother was in another realm ruling a kingdom to success.

She was just a sad, pathetic little girl sitting on the stairs of her building with tears in her eyes and a sloppy appearance.

Evelina thought she wanted the comfort of her mother. She thought she wanted to be held by the women who brought her into the world. But the more she continued to sit on those stairs, just pitting herself, she realized she didn't even know what the comfort of a mother was. Sure, she had Snow, but she wondered if they both shared the same feeling of comfort.

Evelina suddenly felt ashamed of herself. Who was she to question the women who had cared for her most of her life? Snow White had given Evelina the chance to know the comfort of a family when she accepted the ice girl into the Charming family.

Evelina felt nothing but shame.

*unedited*