Hangout with Sarah Royal

The Wattpad Block Party--Summer Edition II had been one great blast and we really did enjoy being a part of the event alongside some amazing authors.

We offered a spot on our Hangout session as giveaway and we're glad to have with us, Sarah Royal, winner of our Block Party Giveaway.

Hi Sarah, welcome to our Thursday Hangout session. Tell us a little about yourself and your background.
Hi everyone. Thank you "The Write Place" for having me today. Thank you also to the "wattpad block party" for running the giveaway that allowed me to win a feature in this journal book. 

I am royal888. I write as a hobby on wattpad and Radish Fiction App. I enjoy reading and writing books and enjoy interacting with the readers and writers on wattpad and also through Facebook and twitter. 

I live a quiet life alongside reading. I am not home 11 hours a day. I leave my house early morning and  come home late in the evening. Evenings are when I get to write mostly. Sometimes I write early mornings on Saturday and Sunday too before going to the gym. I think the last few chapters of Her Blood His Conquest were partly written as I was working out on the cross trainer. I did write some paragraphs of some chapters in A mob boss's heirs on the bike too. But recently I try to be focusing more on the working out at the gym in weekends which helps me when I have to run to catch the bus early mornings on weekdays when I am a few seconds late or when my bus is a few seconds early. Sometimes I write on the train too which is more convenient.

With almost 1.3 million accumulative reads across your stories and 6k+ followers, one can say you've had quite a level of success. How long have you been on Wattpad and what do you think you've been doing right?

I was reading on wattpad ever since 2011 I think. Eversince september 2013 I started writing her heart his obsession. Then I started A Mob Boss's First Love in June 2014 (I think).

 I think I have been lucky to have anyone come across my books. 

I think my covers have helped me immensely. winchestered_  made me my first ever cover for her heart his obsession and kindly carried on making more covers for me. Then I was lucky that Shanteena made me catchy covers for my mob boss series which really really helped me get more reads. A cover is really really important for any book so I think any author needs the help of a cover maker. 

I think another factor helping me gain reads is promoting my books in social media

I think another factor helping me gain reads is promoting my books in social media. There are no opportunities on wattpad to promote books. As you know the share your story threads only work well on desktop and not mobile app... I think that sharing my work on twitter and Facebook has helped. Social media is the only way to advertise your work since promoting  your work on wattpad is non existent unless you get featured or become a watty winner ( I can't even dream of becoming either). In that case wattpad recommends your book on its discover page constantly and you get a chance for exposure. So... I advise any author who wishes their work to be promoted to apply to be featured. If you have the means you should edit your work by someone professional and apply to be featured on wattpad. As I always say ... May luck be a lady for you when you apply ( I am referring to guys and dolls by the way. If you haven't seen the movie, you should see it. Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra rock in this movie.... But if you don't like to see the movie at least search the clip for Marlon Brando singing, "Luck be a lady tonight" On youtube. Guys and Dolls is my favourite musical besides west side story)