#Hangout with Rowena Black

Thursday Hangout with Rowena Black

~*~

Hello Rowena, tell us a bit about yourself.

The first thing everyone should know about me is that my characters are a lot cooler than I am. I am a total book nerd who owns a permanent residence in La La Land. I'm also a teenager which is a common misconception because of the quality of my writing.

 I'm also a teenager which is a common misconception because of the quality of my writing

So recently you won The Night Shift's Opening Scene Contest, what was it like?

To be honest I did not expect it at all. There were so many great books running against me, I didn't think I stood a chance. But I'm ecstatic that The Dark Witch won.

Which of your book won you your spot? Tell us about it?

My book, The Dark Witch, is a YA paranormal story. The book follows Caddie Jones, a social outcast who has an array of odd abilities. Caddie grew up believing that she suffered from a mental disease but when she is forced to go to Nox Haven academy she learns she's a witch.

Summary: In every story there is a hero and a villain. That's the difference between fantasy and reality. In real life the world is painted in shades of gray, not black and white. We are not good nor bad, we share qualities of both. However, people find that too complex. So they continue to categorize people in either black or white.

From the day I, Caddie Jones, was born I was marked black. A child with an unusual set of abilities does not fit in the mundane world. Nobody understood me, until I transferred to Nox Haven Academy. Suddenly all the scary stories are true. Heroes and Villains are not born they are made. You choose your own fate, as did I when I became the Dark Witch.

If you were a judge in that competition, in no particular order, what books would you say deserved to be recognized?

There are so many books I love on Wattpad, we're all very talented. But my top three would be Devil's Lake by @light-in-darkness , Russian Roulette by @Mayfreighter of Blackwater by @InkHopp

What inspired you to write the book? What was the hardest part?

I've always been interested in witches. In fact, the first book I ever wrote was about a witch who went to a magic school. So I thought I would try rewriting the story and putting online for the public to read. The hardest part about writing the book was finding the time. I was finishing Freshman year when I wrote it and I was editing another book at the same time.

Have you taken part in any other competitions? What do you look out for before signing up for a contest?

I haven't taken place in any other competitions, but I would love to join more. If anyone knows of any open ones please contact me.

Tell us a bit about your typical writing process. Much of a Pantser or Planner?

I have no writing process. I get ideas for books at really odd times. If a thought lingers in my mind long enough then eventually I'll put it down on paper. By the time I finish the first chapter I already know who's falling in love, who's dying and what will happen in the final chapter. All the planning happens in my head.

Do you dabble a bit in all genres or you have a preference?

I write romance and teen fiction as well, but I prefer to write paranormal.

When it comes to reading, what authors(and genres) are your preferences?

I've read so much a week. I don't have a favorite author. I think the list of authors I don't like is a lot shorter. My favorite genre is definitely paranormal. When I was a kid I used to think books were the equivalent of the plague until I started reading different stories in the paranormal genre.

Before we round up, how about a tip for the waiter? Oops, emerging writers.

I really don't think there is any advice I can give people. Everyone should write the way they want to write. Also write about whatever inspires or excites you.

-What should your readers be expecting from you in the future?

This summer I will be going to a Novel Writing Institute where I will work one on one with a publisher on a book I previously had posted called, The Battle of Ira. I am also writing a new story called Hunting the Witch Hunter. I hope those books will gain as much or more success as The Dark Witch.

*~*
That's it folks. Got a question for our guest? Drop your comments below, the author would be replying. Be sure to Follow this great author.

Till next Thursday, stay scheming.