Prologue

Let's get on with the story! I'M SO EXCITED AHHHHHHH!

---------------------------------------------

      Amelia unlocked the door to her apartment and walked in. She looked around at everything and sighed.
      Even though she had lived there for a year, it didn't feel like home. Although, she couldn't remember any of her life before a year ago so nothing really felt like home yet. She hoped sometime it would. Amelia had gone to the doctor about it and told them she couldn't remember anything and they told her that she had amnesia. She couldn't even remember her family. When she had first woken up and couldn't remember anything but her name or age, she had woken up in the apartment. It had been completely empty apart from a bed and a TV in the bedroom and an oven, stove, sink, fridge, the usual kitchen stuff in the kitchen. The normal bathroom stuff was in the bathroom. And the only things that wasn't normally what would be in a house and what you would have in a house to make it unique was a crystal looking rock and this metal stick looking thing. Over the past year she had bought a few things to make it home. Like a bookshelf and some books. She had put the metal stick looking thing on her bookshelf, in front of her books and the crystal rock thing on her bedside table.
      She went into her bedroom and looked at the clock. It was about 11:00 pm so she got ready for bed and fell into a dreamless sleep.

      Amelia woke up to a burning feeling on the back of her hand. She sat up and looked at her hand. She had the metal stick looking thing in her hand and on the other hand was an eye looking shape. It looked like a tattoo. She went into the bathroom and ran her hand under the tap, trying to rub it off but it wouldn't rub off. Amelia grabbed her phone and searched 'Eye looking shape.' Exactly what she thought would happen happened. Nothing showed up. There were many websites and images but none about the tattoo thing on the back of her hand.
      "What is this thing?" She whispered to herself.
      She walked back into her bedroom and looked at the metal looking stick. For some reason two words popped into her head. Words that she had never heard before. 'Stele' and 'Rune'. But what did they mean? Was she remembering stuff from her life. Stuff that had been erased by amnesia? But what kind of stuff was this? It was definitely not normal.
      She sighed and sat on her bed. She looked at the crystal looking rock on her bedside table and for some reason, her hand was reaching for it. She picked it up and as soon as she picked it up, it lit up. It was like the light of a torch.
      "By the Angel." She said.
Amelia immediately dropped it. That had never happened before. She had never said 'By the Angel' before and the crystal looking rock had never lit up like a torch when she had held it. What was happening to her?
      She decided to not think of it too much. Maybe she was just half asleep and this was still part of a dream. She decided to go to the gym. It was kind of her getaway. She didn't really know why. She just liked to keep training and keep fit. As if she was going to do something she needed to be ready for like a fight or something. Amelia got into her gym clothes and she felt more awake so she looked at her hand to check if it had been a dream or not but the mark was still there. It kind of looked like the style of the markings on the metal stick thing. She just sighed and walked out of her apartment and to the gym.

      Amelia was walking, on her way back home, when she bashed into someone.
      "Oh I'm sorry! I didn't see you there." She apologised and looked up to see a boy who had black hair and blue eyes. He was wearing all black and seemed to have many tattoos but as Amelia looked closer, they looked like the markings on the metal stick thing. And like the marking on her hand.
      "Wait you can see me?" The boy asked.
      "Um yeah. Am I not meant to?" Amelia asked, whilst brushing her hand through her hair.
      The boy grabbed her hand and looked at the mark on her hand.
      "Did you do this?" He questioned.
"I don't really know." Amelia told him, truthfully. "I woke up to a burning feeling on my hand and I had this metal stick thing in my other hand and that mark was there. And you probably think I'm crazy."
      "No I don't. Does the metal stick thing you're talking about look like this?" He reached into his pocket and pulled out something that looked exactly like the metal stick thing.
      "Yes. Exactly like that." Amelia answered.
      "This is a stele. And the mark on your hand is a rune which you mark into your skin with the stele." The boy told her.
      Oh so that's what those words meant.
      "Do you know what a crystal rock thing that lights up is too?" Amelia asked.
      "Yeah that's a witch light - better than a torch." The boy smiled.
Amelia looked at him. What even was this about? Was it some kind of prank? Since when do things like this happen? He looked back at her, confused.
      "Do you remember anything?" He asked. Wait why would he ask that? Did he know she had amnesia or something?"
      "Well I have amnesia so I don't remember anything since a year ago. Why?" She asked.
      "I was there when you forgot everything." He said.
      "You were?" She asked. "Were we close?"
      "Yes. You were adopted into my family when you were 9." He said. "I'm Alec. Alec Lightwood."
      "Um I'm Amelia and I don't know my last name." She replied.
      "I know. And you decided that you want your last name to be Lightwood."
      Amelia Lightwood. She couldn't believe this. Standing in front of her was someone from her family. Well it could have been a prank because how can something like marking a what's-it-called-again ... a rune on your skin with a thing called a stele happen? It was like magic and magic doesn't exist. Or does it?

*When Amelia, Alec and Izzy were around 9 years old*

      Amelia stood in the accords hall whilst she waited for her adoption family to take her in. The Clave were still deciding which family she would go to. Her parents had just died a week ago from a mission. It had been a mission that the Clave sent them on and it was way too dangerous for her parents to handle and they had ended up dying. Amelia blamed the Clave. How could they let a 9 year old's parents go on such a dangerous mission where they're at risk of dying? A very high risk.
      "I would like to tell you that I was with Amelia's parents when they died and their last words were 'Make sure Amelia is taken in by the Lightwood family.'" Said one of Amelia's parent's friends. She didn't know his name. He had just been to the house a few times and had gone on missions with them.
      "Maryse and Robert Lightwood, would that be ok with you?"
      "Of course it would!" They said. The Lightwoods had been good friends with Amelia's parents. She was glad they were the ones taking her in and not some strangers. She had grown up with Alec and Isabelle so they were like a brother and sister to her. Amelia was younger than Alec, but only by about 7 months and she was older than Isabelle, but not by that much.
"Amelia. Would you like to be considered as a Lightwood or would you like to remain with your own last name?" Amelia was asked by Maryse, as she walked over smiling.
Amelia didn't want to remember her parents' death. She couldn't be part of that family anymore. She couldn't be called by that name. She didn't want to let those memories get in the way. Feelings were a weakness.
      "Lightwood." Amelia said.
      Maryse smiled. "Welcome to the family, Amelia Lightwood." And Amelia smiled back. Amelia Lightwood. She liked the sound of that.

*1 Year Later*

Amelia was 10 now. The Lightwoods had just adopted a boy who was the same age as her. They called him Jace. They were just settling him in and Amelia knew that he would soon be part of the family and fit in easily.

---------------------------------------------

Total Word Count: 1538

Hey! So this is the prologue to my story! That's kind of obvious isn't it 😂 anyway I hope you're enjoying it so far and I will update the next chapter tomorrow!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!
Tell me what you think!

Vote / Comment / Share