Inside Source

"I still can't believe you killed Ursula," Reno says for what has to be the twentieth time as you, he, Cloud, Leon, and Genesis make your way into the elevator at Shinra.

"Why do you sound you surprised?" you ask with a small laugh, narrowing your eyes at the redhead. "Maybe my training is kicking in."

"I'm sure it is," Genesis agrees, smiling down at you (though you swear you can hear some hesitation in his voice).

"Either way, we're grateful," Leon points out just as the elevator doors open with a soft ding.

"Why?" you ask, glancing around at them.

"Saved us from having to fight," Cloud explains with a grin.

You roll your eyes, glancing forward as you start to walk. You almost immediately come to a stop, however, as you realize everyone is standing just outside the elevators.

"What's going on?" Leon asks, sounding slightly worried.

"We just wanted to tell [Name] congrats," Noctis says as Sora pulls you into a hug, a goofy grin on his face.

"It's not every day our delicate little flower kills an evil sea witch," Yuffie adds, pinching your cheeks as Sora releases you.

"Stop," you laugh, shooing her hands away. "Have you guys forgotten I DIED before?!"

"For, like, an hour," Zack points out, rolling his eyes.

"You could use some toughening up," Terra adds matter-of-factly.

"And this is step one!" Aqua quickly adds as you shoot Terra a glare.

"Whatever. Where's Angeal?" you ask eagerly, glancing around the group. "I owe him a huge thank you, for all of his help..."

Everyone who didn't go to Atlantica starts to exchange silent looks. Your eyes narrow once more.

"What aren't you telling us?" Cloud asks, crossing his arms over his chest.

They all sigh, clearly unsure what to say. You feel your heart start to race. Was Angeal okay? So far, he's the only person who knows what you witnessed with Sephiroth. Frankly, he's become the only person you can be truly open with about everything. Your hopes, your fears, your doubts...

"He's gone, on a mission," Riku finally tells your smaller group with a heavy sigh.

"Gone?!" you repeat, eyes widening.

"We're really sorry, [Name]. He just couldn't wait to say bye," Ven adds, clapping a hand on your shoulder.

You take a step back, shaking your head. A sinking feeling hits your gut as Ven's hand slowly falls off your shoulder. Had Sephiroth somehow found out what you told Angeal? Were you in danger? Or those you love?

Without a word you brush past Roxas and Xion as you charge down the hallway, ignoring a few calls out after you. You make a right when you reach the bedrooms, almost moving on autopilot as you run down the hall. You skid to a stop outside of Angeal's room, frantically knocking on the door.

No one answers.

Quickly, you press your palm to the door, running in as it slides open. Angeal's room is empty, his bed neatly made and his closet without a single item of clothing. It looks like no one has lived there. The doors close behind you, but you barely notice it. Your eyes are instead locked on a lone piece of paper resting on his desk.

Slowly, you walk towards the desk, gingerly picking up the paper in your hands. You sit on the swivel chair in front of the desk, leaning back as your eyes scan the page.