Chapter 7

~Joey's POV~

I felt a weight shift on me and I couldn't breathe. I groaned and tried to subconciously push it off me. It felt really uncomfortable. I wondered what it was. It didn't really matter because whatever it was, I succeeded getting it off me. I could finally breathe again. I smiled and snuggled my face contently into the couch cushion when suddenly...

THUMP!

Whatever I pushed off of me, landed on the ground and made my eyes snap open. Out of curiosity, I turn my body so I can see what it was.

When I saw what it was, or rather WHO it was, I was wide awake and I immediately ran over to his side and kneeled beside him. A rush of guilt ran over me.

"Oh my gosh Shane! Are you okay? I am so sorry," I said with an extremely worried expression on my face. He remained laying down on his back on the wooden floor with a pained facial expression.

Shane mumbled a quiet "Ow" as he sat up and rubbed the back of his head. "Yeah, I'm fine," he reassured me.

His body said otherwise because a prominent purple-blue bruise began forming. It looked really painful. I stood up.

"Here Shane." I extended an arm out to him to offer him help. He hesitantly grabbed it and hoisted himself to his feet. I led him back to the couch and sat him down. "Wait here."

I walked towards the kitchen and grabbed a ziploc bag and grabbed a few ice cubes from the freezer to put in the bag to create an emergency ice pack. I walked back to Shane and found him sitting in the same position as I left him. I sat beside him and took the ice pack and placed it on the continuously swelling bruise.

He hissed when the cold material came in contact with his skin. "It's okay. I'll do it," he said as he tried to take the ice pack out of my hand.

I shake my head and put the ice pack out of Shane's reach. "I'll do it," I protested.

Shane sat there calmly as I gently dabbed the bruise that is slowly subsiding. It might just be a bruise, but I was the one that caused it. If it was my fault, it is my responsibilty to go fix it.

After a couple minutes of silence, Shane breaks it and says, "Joey?"

"Hm?" I reply back.

He turns his body to face me and give me eye contact. Just like the other day when I was at Cat's house, I saw brokeness in his eyes.

"What is it?"

Shane hesitantly answers back, "Why...why are you helping me so much?"

I freeze. "Shane..."

"Why? I don't understand. You could have just left me in the cold at the bench yesterday."

I continued to look into Shane's eyes. Why did I help him? Even I didn't know the answer...

"Joey....I just never had someone that cared about me that much before..." Tears started to stream down his face.

Sympathy came over me and I hugged Shane. He buried his face into my chest, staining it with his tears.

After about 20 minutes of crying Shane calmed down as I continued to run my hands through Shane's hair. It was kind of getting addicting.

He breathed contently and looked up at me with puppy eyes. I couldn't resist his puppy eyes. It made something in my stomach flutter.

GROAN

Shane's stomach grumbled. I can't help but chuckle. As much as I want to stay in this position forever, I unwrapped myself from Shane. I could have sworn that I heard him whimper. I headed towards the kitchen and decided to make some bacon and egg sandwiches for both of us. Shane likes bacon, right?