1 secret each

Jack's POV:
Mark was slowly becoming my best friend. Every day we would hang out after school, and full days on the weekend, and just play video games. To my mum, and Mark's mum, this was just us preparing for our upcoming class project, but really we just wanted to hang out all the time.

And as much as I was really enjoying hanging out with Mark, and how much I seriously loved that he hasn't once made fun of my little art side, I was beginning to feel worse and worse about not telling him the one thing I really wanted to. Ben and Josh knew, somehow, but yet I was still to scared to tell Mark.

Speaking of Ben and Josh, it's gotten worse. The name calling, the brutal beatings, the utter humiliation, all of it. And it never happens when I'm with Mark, so I'm always left on the floor and struggling to explain to him what happened. Honestly, it embarrasses me. I feel like I need Mark to protect me and that's pathetic. I'm pathetic.

Mark keeps refusing to leave, because he's constantly worried I'll get hurt again, but it makes me feel worse when he's with me. After school, I love it, but at school... At school it makes me feel as if we aren't friends, but he's just some bodyguard that my mum hired to escort me to class.

The end of the month was coming up soon and for some reason the friendship Mark and I had built up, was starting to feel like a relationship with its anniversary in sight. Maybe I'm just overthinking things... I dunno.

Back at Marks place on a Tuesday, Mark was starting to act a little differently than usual. Usually he's hyper and happy and buzzing to play whatever video game he can find, but today he was upset about something. I didn't want to pester him, but he was never upset so I felt like I had to ask. You know, to be a good friend.

"Hey Mark?"

"Hmm?" He looked up with his chocolate brown puppy eyes and he looked pale. Dead, even. Come to think of it, this wasn't the first time this had happened. It always happened on a Tuesday after school. What was happening on a Tuesday that I didn't know about? Was he being hurt like I was?

"Mark what the hell is wrong with you? Every Tuesday you turn into a zombie. Are you okay?" I lowered myself down to his level on the carpeted floor. He was pulling a disc out of a game box and slowly placing it into the console. He shot a look at me and he looked awful. I had never spoken to him on a Tuesday. Surely he wasn't THIS bad last week? Right?

"I'm fine." He said weakly. I may have known this guy for under a month but I knew him well enough to tell when he was lying. Lying was in my blood, of course I would know what it looked like.

"Mark." I said sternly. "Tell me the truth." A huge wave of guilt fled through me as I watched him sob into his hands. The dead, cold look now turning to more of a sad, depressed look. I should apologise. I stepped too far.

"I'm okay Jack... I promise. It's just something stupid." I nodded and smiled. I knew how he felt, my thing was stupid too. This might sound silly, but him keeping a secret from me removed a huge weight off of my shoulders. Now we were even and I didn't feel guilty for not telling him the absolute truth about everything the way he did to me. Well I'm pretty sure he was telling the truth about everything. He wouldn't lie to me.

Mark's POV:
I am such a disgusting person. This bet on Jack had been going on for a month now. I wanted to stop, so badly, but I didn't want to lose the only belonging I had at City Side. Not to mention I was starting to get scared. Felix was... Well he wasn't the Felix I knew anymore. Now his eyes were filled with void and his voice was jagged like his lungs were filled with messy smoke from an old cigarette. Every time I told Felix I was considering stopping, his fist clenched into a metal-like shape and he pulled my shirt closer to his face, warning me. He must understand this is wrong.

Jack had been slowly becoming the best friend I had. We had been spending so much more time together and of course every time he ends up coming home with a black eye and a bruised cheek. I knew exactly who it was, but I couldn't do anything. No matter how much I acted, I was weak. I was pathetic.

That's why I can't stand up to Felix.

A/n notes:

Hey guys long time no see! Sorry I've been inactive, especially when I said I would be on more, but school has just restarted for me, and that means it's harder for me to update with all the crap load of homework I keep getting.

Please bare with me and I will publish a new chapter in time, but it might take me longer.

I also apologise if this story is starting to go a little off track. To me, it isn't, but to you it may be. Just believe that when we reach the end, you'll understand why these chapters are here. I promise they aren't just filler chapters.

You guys are the best by the way, you never fail to lift my spirits.

Anyway,

Love you guys :)

-septictac