Chapter 8: The Call

Rue Milian

Today has been a bit off for me. I just felt in my spirit something would be wrong today. Whether it was good or bad? I don't know. I just had this feeling the day would go wrong in some way.

August was in my room with earbuds in his ear watching some YouTube videos. While he was distracted I swung my legs off my bed and I stood up heading out my bedroom. My throat was so dry so I was really craving something to drink. I was still a bit upset about the Michael situation but I know that in due time Michael would get over it if he really cared about me as his friend.

I walked into the kitchen quietly when I heard my mom whispering to someone on the phone across the way inside the dining room. I was so nosy plus this was a bit suspicious because she was trying her best to talk quietly as if she didn't want anyone to hear.

"Hey Herman."

She whispered your fathers middle name and that made my heart drop. Either she was talking to someone that had the same name as my father or she was just being delusional as usual.

"She is doing great. She just misses you."

She continued and I assumed she was definitely talking about me. Next thing you know she'd be airing out my business telling this person I was pregnant. She had a big mouth but I was just hoping this was one of her delusional moments.

"And she is pregnant with August's baby."

Damn I mumbled under my breath and shook my head. I knew she couldn't hold water.

"Yeah I know, but she is a grown Herman. She is going to be fine. I am happy for her and August. So when are you coming back? How is everything?"

Coming back? Now this was confusing me but I had to know what could be happening but I just didn't want to believe it.

"Oh ok. I love you too.... I'll see you soon.. Bye.

She ended the call and I immediately rushed out the kitchen and walked back in as if I was just walking in when she came out the dining room. We made eye contact and I went into the fridge grabbing a bottle of water.

"Hi Mom." I said dryly unscrewing the cap of the bottle.

"Damn Rue, you scared me." She held her hand to her chest and walked closer to me.

"Who were you talking to on the phone?" I asked her. No point in beating around the bush. It seemed like a lot of secrets were being kept.

"This guy."

"Mom can I tell you something?" I asked her.

"Sure."

"You are such a bad lair." I told her crossing my arms over my chest.

"Excuse me?" She looked annoyed and matched my energy by putting her hands on her hips.

"I know you were talking to my dad. Unless you've met someone miraculously with the same name. What the hell is going on?"

"Just calm down Rue. I know you are upset but I cant tell you why." She told me turning away from me.

"Why not?" I ask her grabbing her shoulder making her face me once again.

"Because I cant. All I can say is your dad loves and misses you so much. You will see him soon." My mom swatted my arm away and pulled me into an awkward hug.

"So he's not really dead? How the hell could he cover a death up to make it seem so real??!" I ask her curiously.

"No." She simply said now making me about to go ballistic.

"Okay. You know what Im not about to agure with you. " I said and walked out the kitchen going straight to my room.

"What took you so long?" August asked me as he was just coming out of the shower and walking out the bathroom.

"I know this is going to sound crazy. BUT I just found out that my dad is alive." I told him.

"What the fuck?" August said wiping his face with his face towel.

"I know right. I overheard my mom talking to him on the phone. She won't give me a straight answer but I know I'm not crazy."

"Thats some crazy shit."

"I know right. Something is going on and I need to find out." I told him plopping on the edge of my bed looking up at him. "All she told me was that I would 'see him soon'." I added fiddling with my fingers

"Then just wait it out." August told me walking towards the closet digging in his bag for clothes.

A/N: Hope you guys are enjoying my story so far!!