Chapter Two

Mum had sent me a message saying there was a problem with the trains so she’d be running late. This meant that I had to pick up Lisa and Bart from their school and walk them home. I had to chase them down the street as they mischievously disobeyed me.

 I threw the keys into the little dish next to the door, and they ran upstairs to their shared bedroom. I went to the phone to check the messages and there were none.

 I heard keys in the door and mum’s high-heels on the ground.

 “Good day?” I called.

 “I suppose. You?” she asked as she came into the kitchen. She put her bag on the kitchen table and leant against the radiator.

 “Got put in isolation-” I started.

 “ASH!”

 “Lemme finish! There was a new guy in class today.” I told her. I looked up and saw that she had that look in her eye- question time was about to begin.

 She lunged forward to grab my hand and push me down onto a chair. She sat down and held my hand over the table, kicking the door shut.

 “What’s his name?”

 “Ray Davis.” I told her.

 “And he’s in your class? So he’s in your year?”

 “Yes, mum.”

 “Is he cute?” she asked. I could literally hear her heart racing.

 “Mum, would you be quiet? Someone might hear you!” I hissed.

 “OH, and who’s going to hear me, the invisible man? I just want to know if you think he could be your first-”

 “Don’t say it!” I barked, clamping a hand over her mouth.

 “-boyfriend.” her muffled voice said.

 “He’s… gorgeous.” I whispered.

 “Oh my gosh! Tell me everything!” she said, and she leapt up to switch the kettle on to make us both a cup of tea.

 “Well, he has really messy dark brown hair, like, really messy, but in a cute way. And a fringe kind of like mine, and really lush chestnut brown eyes… And he dresses like me; he wears black and he had an earring like mine and I could see he had a tattoo but I couldn’t see what of… And you could practically see his muscles through his shirt, mum, he is so fine. And he has the most beautiful voice…” I told her.

 “The voice is always important. If they have a sexy voice, s’all good. You remember when I told you what your father’s voice sounded like to me the first time I heard it? Like velvet on your ears- did it make you feel like that?” she asked.

 “Yeah…” I sighed as I remembered.

 “Oh boy, are you in trouble!” she chuckled, bringing over the tea.

 I took a sip of my drink.

 “He just looks so perfect, mum. He’s just a little taller than me… so perfect.” I told her.

 “And is he bisexual too?” she asked, sipping her drink.

 Mum was the only person in the world who knew about my sexuality. I couldn’t tell the guys. They all thought I was some massive player… they’d probably beat me up if they found out I was bi… and annoying as Tanya and the other girls are, it’s fun to watch them chat me up. I might lose all that if I came out.