Chapter Eleven

I was so deliriously happy as I sat with Ray in the coffee shop. I just sat there and smiled at him, and he smiled back. We were so oblivious to everything. My handed rested on the table and he reached out to trace a pattern on it, making a light tingle run up my arm. He playfully ran his foot up my calf and everything felt so natural and normal; this was what love is.

 I captured his hand under mine and put a finger under his chin, pulling him towards me so we could kiss over our coffees.

 “Gay!” A loud cough occurred behind us.

 I pulled away from Ray and rolled my eyes, looking over at where the voice had come from. Three teenage boys, possibly younger than us, were sat over the other side of the coffee shop, staring at us in disgust.

 “Well, obviously.” I snapped back.

 One of the guys stood up, trying to look furious. He was about as scary as a doormat.

 “What did you say to me?”

 “I said well obviously- are you stupid? Well, evidently you are, otherwise you wouldn’t have just said ‘gay’…” I said. Ray snorted and turned to face the guy too.

 “Of course we’re gay, otherwise I wouldn’t be kissing him, would I, you twat.” Ray said, and he turned back to me.

 Without realising it I had half risen out of my seat at the confrontation. Ray placed his hand on my forearm and as I looked into his large brown eyes I calmed down and sat.

 I looked over Ray’s shoulder and watched the guy sit back down and mutter furiously to his friends.

 “Why can’t they just leave us alone…?” I murmured. Ray rolled his eyes.

 “Because they’re homophobes, and homophobes don’t have feelings.”

 I laughed and the guys looked back over to us, eyeing us suspiciously. They were really starting to piss me off- how dare they ruin my perfect morning? This was supposed to be one of those magical ‘mornings after’, the ones when you don’t regret whatever had happened the night before.

 And I certainly did not regret last night…

 Ray grinned at me and winked; he was thinking about last night too.

 Everything had been such a blur once we had reached his room. All I really remembered was wanting him so badly, it hurt. Oh, and I finally got to see his tattoo- a medium sized dragon, black and grey, on his forearm.

 We drank our coffee slowly and chit-chatted about nothing in particular. Liz came over and said hello and I introduced her and Ray to each other properly. They chatted for a bit, but I couldn’t seem to concentrate on much other than the guys over the other side of the shop.

 “Ray, I think we should go.” I whispered to him. He frowned but nodded and Liz went back to the counter, watching the situation warily.

 He held his hand out to me and we headed for the door, but not before I heard three chairs kick back from a table. I span on my heel and my face came immediately into contact with someone’s fist.

 “Don’t you dare harm his face! It’s too beautiful!” Ray screamed, and he launched himself at the guy who had punched me, the guy who had spoken to us earlier.

 His friends leapt forward and took hold of Ray. Liz was screaming for help. I stood and swung a punch at the guy and it came nicely into contact with his nose, knocking him backwards and into the wall. I hurtled towards the two guys who were kicking Ray and tore them away from him, determined to keep us safe.