Chapter Three

“Oh, so are you, like, gay? Or… or bi?” I asked. The only thing I could do now was keep asking questions.

 “Gay. You’re not a homophobe, are you?” he asked, suddenly wary. A delicate shade of pink spread across his face.

 “No, no,” I said. “I’m… I’m bi.”

 It felt so weird to be talking to someone other than my mother about my sexuality. It felt so weird to have previously only talked to my mother about my sexuality.

 “Cool. How did your mum take it? My mum hates it. Can’t stand it. I still catch her moaning ‘I’ll never have grandchildren’. It’s quite appalling.” he told me, shaking his head.

 “My mum doesn’t mind it. In fact, I think she quite likes it. She likes me to be different- not saying that being gay or bi makes you different, I mean that we don’t conform to a homophobic society. And although she’s the only one who knows about it, she thinks it’s good I can be open with her.” I told him.

 “Well, she’s not the only one who knows now, is she?”

 “I guess not. So…Does your boyfriend live around here?” I asked him. I needed more details on this person, fast.

 “No, he lives down in Portsmouth, where I used to live.” he informed me.

 “Oh, you used to live all the way down there?”

 “Yeah, but only for a couple of years. Still got my London accent.” he laughed. “Hey, my boyfriend is coming to visit me this Saturday; I’m kinda having a house party. You wanna come?”

 “Sure, sounds fun.”

 We carried on talking and talking. Ray was the kind of person that you spent three minutes with and he had already taken up your life; you felt like you’d known him forever. It was like he was already my best friend. I asked him if he wanted to come hang out at my house for a while and he agreed, so we walked home. It was a bit colder now, so we walked close together, huddled up against the chill.

 I opened the front door and he walked in past me. If anyone else had done it, it would have seemed rude or obnoxious, but this was Ray. It was different. He was different. He went into my living room and looked around, looking at the photos over the fireplace of me and my siblings. None of the pictures showed my mum. He went over and checked out our CD’s before nodding his approval. My mum didn’t care what she listened to so it was mainly my stuff.

 “Would you like a drink?” I offered.

 “I’d murder for a cup of coffee.” he said with a wink.

 “You just had one.”

 “And now I want another.”

 You couldn’t help but laugh at him. I’m pretty sure even if he had spoken like that to my mother even she would have just ended up laughing. I left him in the living room and went into the kitchen. I made him his coffee and poured myself a glass of coke, got a bowl of crisps and took it all back into the living room. He’d made himself quite comfortable on the sofa, taking his Converses off before curling up on the seat. He sat up more when I came in so I could hand him his coffee.

 “You wanna watch a movie?” I asked.

 “You got anything Batman?” he asked. I pulled out a copy of The Dark Knight and showed him. “A fine choice.”

 Ray had obviously seen the movie many times as I could hear him muttering the words to himself as they were being said in the movie. I was so into the film that I didn’t even notice when his head was on my shoulder. The movie plot developed and I was taken even more into it. I didn’t notice him make me put my arm round him.