Chapter Six

When I got home I didn’t really know what to do with myself. My mum asked me a bit about the party, but she was so used to me going out and getting drunk that it didn’t matter anymore. Of course, she always worried when I went to parties, but so long as I came back okay nothing else mattered.

 But I didn’t come back okay.

 “What the hell happened to you?” she asked, dragging me under the light so she could get a better look at my cuts and bruises.

 “Nothing.” I said quietly.

 I wasn’t in the mood to talk. I left her standing there in the kitchen and went up to my room. I threw myself down on my bed and looked at the plain ceiling. I just didn’t know what to do with myself. I tried to read but only on my third attempt at the same paragraph did I realise I couldn’t be bothered. I tried to distract myself by playing a game on my PS3 but my eyes wouldn’t stay focused on the screen.

 Even playing the guitar didn’t help.

 So I simply stayed on my bed, staring into space. I’d meant what I said to Ray. I didn’t regret spending the night with him; I really, really regretted not being able to remember it. My first time properly being with a guy, and I couldn’t even remember the first kiss.

 I heard a knock at the front door and mum answered it. Hushed voices, and then someone coming upstairs. A knock at my bedroom door.

 “It’s us, Ash, open the door.” Dylan’s voice called.

 I pulled on the lock on my door and the second it clicked he pushed the door open.

 “How’re you feelin’?” Brad asked. His hair was all over the place and he had sunglasses on. Dylan and Aaron didn’t look so good either.

 I looked at Brad.

 He was the reason I’d discovered I was bisexual. At first I didn’t realise, I simply thought we had a strong, brotherly relationship on account of him being one of my best friends. It was only when- at a drunken party- that I had serious thoughts about kissing him that I realised I had a crush on him.

 It always surprised me that girls favoured me to Brad. He had the ‘American Jock’ look perfected. He always wore a t-shirt, jeans and his favourite red baseball jacket with a pair of sneakers. Yes, he was a bit of an airhead, but he was also one of the nicest guys you’d ever meet.

 Dylan was also good looking, as was Aaron, but Brad was the most. I thought they were all better looking than me- but girls seemed to disagree.

 “My head feels like someone’s been pounding it… mainly because someone had been pounding it… but a little bit because of the hangover also. What about you three?” I asked. They all groaned and held their heads in answer to the question.

 “So, what happened with you and Ray last night?” Aaron asked.

 My heart skipped a beat.

 They know

 “What d’you mean?” I asked.

 “Well, when you went upstairs you never came back. We went up to check on you, all we knew was you were in his bedroom. And the door was locked. And those noises…” Dylan said, shaking his head.

 Ohmygod

 “You seem to have escaped alright, though. I bet he has bruises.” Brad said brightly.

 “Brad! That is so twisted!” I spat in disgust.

 “What? We just want to know who won the fight.” Dylan said.