Chapter Eight - Amore

Flashback

Eight Years Ago...

“Jer, my man!  You made it!” Anthony greeted Jeremiah as the latter made his way inside the former’s house for the prom after party with Skye in tow.  “I didn’t think you were ever gonna show!”

“Oh come on, me?  Not show?  I am the party, dude,” Jeremiah clapped the other boy’s back.  He turned back to Skye and reached out for her hand.  “I brought Skye.”

“Hey, Skye,” Anthony smiled lasciviously at Skye.  “You are looking so fine tonight.”

Anthony was a tall, blond boy who was one of Jeremiah’s team mates on his basketball team.  He lived in a gated community in a large brick house.  The house was booming with loud music inside, but the walls made it so that the loudness could not be heard outside.  Besides, the nearest neighbors were a few hundred feet away, that’s how large Anthony’s parent’s plot of land was.

“Thanks,” Skye said quietly and hid behind Jeremiah.

“Who knew you had a body underneath all those baggy clothes you wear?”  Anthony continued, obviously having had a few drinks already.

“Jer, um, maybe I should just go.  This isn’t really my thing.”

“Skye, don’t worry.  I’ll handle him,” Jeremiah squeezed Skye’s hand and turned to his friend.  “Tony, dude, lay off Skye, okay?”

“Sorry, my bad,” Anthony said to Jeremiah.  “How about a drink, Skye?  As a peace offering?” he handed her a red plastic cup filled with cola and rum.

“I don’t drink,” Skye said politely.

“Come on, it’s a party!  Loosen up!” Anthony slurred.  “You’re not gonna bust our chops, are you?”

“No…”

“Okay, you know what?  I’ll take that drink.  We’ll just be around, Ant,” Jeremiah took the cup from his friend and led Skye away. 

Anthony was a rich kid whose parents were never around.  He was always having parties, often ones that get out of hand, but so far, nothing majorly bad has ever happened at one of his parties, luckily.  The cops had never been involved. 

Jeremiah held onto Skye’s hand as they made their way to the backyard.  A few people were in the swimming pool in their tuxes and gowns, not caring that they were all looking like a bunch of hot messes.  They went to the gazebo which was surprisingly empty.  He helped her sit down on the patio furniture before downing the contents of the cup in one long gulp.  Skye just watched him before reaching for her heel.

“You okay?” Jeremiah asked her.

“Yeah, I’m just not used to walking in high heels, I guess.”

“Here, let me,” he reached for one ankle and held it over his thigh.  He slipped off her strappy sandals and began massaging her foot, from heel to toe.  “Better?”