Prologue

Skye Garcia unlocked the front door of the apartment she shared with her best friend.  She went home early from work because she had been battling a migraine all day long.  She was about to call out her best friend’s name when she heard the loud moaning and sighing of a woman behind her best friend’s closed bedroom door.  She grimaced at the sound and quietly tiptoed into her room.  Their apartment’s walls were not very thick and did not do much to conceal the sounds of sex happening in the room next door.  She dove under her covers and put her ear bud speakers in her ears, blasting the music on her phone to as loud as she could stand without shattering her poor eardrums.  For extra measure, she took one of her pillows and placed it over her ears, holding it in place with both of her hands.  She shut her eyes and just listened to the music, letting the outside world fade away.  It’s what she gets for having a male best friend, she thought to herself.  An attractive male best friend who never seemed to have a shortage of women and lady friends who were usually one and done. 

She popped her head from under the pillow and took one ear bud speaker from her ear.  She heard her best friend Jeremiah Adams’ bedroom door open and shut then the front door open and shut.  She slowly padded to the door and stuck her ear next to the wood to listen and make sure the coast was clear and that it was safe to go outside.  She quietly opened the door and peeked outside first through the small crack before making her way to the kitchen.  She grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and shut the door.  She had just taken a gulp of the ice cold water when a voice from her side make her jump and spit the water out to whome belonged the offending voice.  Her roommate, Jeremiah, looked in shock at the sudden turn of events before wiping at his face with the palms of his hands.  Skye quickly put the bottle of water on the kitchen counter and tore a paper towel from the roll.

“Jer, I am so sorry!” she said in apology as she wiped at his face.  “You shouldn’t sneak up on people like that!” she said almost breathlessly.

Jeremiah stilled her frantic hands.  “Skye, it’s okay.  I’m sorry, too. I didn’t know you’d be home so early.  I wasn’t expecting anyone to be home.”

"I didn't know you were still here.  I thought you went with your girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?" Jeremiah stilled her hands by holding onto her wrists.

"Yeah, you know the really loud girl moaning your name and screaming like crazy?" Skye tried to joke with him.

Jeremiah looked intently at Skye while still holding her hands.  "She's not my girlfriend."

"Yet,” Skye corrected.  “She's the first one you brought home that I know of.  I think it's only a matter of time."

"I don't think so."

"Why?" Skye finally stepped away from him and sat down on one of the kitchen table chairs with her water bottle.

"She's too loud," he smirked.  "I'm sorry about that, by the way."

"It's alright.  You were in your room, you can do what you want," she looked down into her lap.

"But I don't wanna piss you off," Jeremiah said as he took a seat in front of Skye.  "Are you hungry?  Come on, let's go.  My treat."

"I'm actually kinda tired.  I just wanna curl up in bed and go to sleep early.  I have a migraine something fierce.  Rest is the only thing on my mind right now."

"And you will...after you eat."

Jeremiah looked at her with pleading eyes as he looked up and held out his hand for her to take.  She let out a loud sigh and placed her hand on his waiting one and allowed him to lead her out of their apartment.