Chapter Six - Is Breá

Dylan found street parking facing downhill in front of a gray classic doorman art deco building on Powell Street.  The building was in front of the cable car tracks, and Skye watched as the famed cable car rumbled past them, carrying tourists on it's way up the hill to their next destination.  Dylan's hand touched the small of Skye's back as he led her up the main entrance.  The front entrance led to a lobby with marble floors and mirrors all along the walls.  He escorted her up to his parents' condominium unit door and knocked using the gold plated knocker.  They waited in silence for someone to open the door.  Skye felt like a cat got her tongue.  She was still nervous about meeting Dylan's parents.  Dylan regarded her and ruffled her hair a bit, trying to ease the tension the woman next to him felt.  It worked because her face broke into a grin as she swatted his hand away.  He smoothed her hair on her head before putting an arm around her shoulders.  A petite older woman, even shorter than Skye's 5'4" frame opened the door for them.  She looked elegant, her hair in a chignon, her camel colored cashmere sweater set looked luxurious, as did the tweed plaid pants she paired her sweater with.  Her suede pointy toed pumps caused Skye envy; she'd always fancied herself  somewhat of a shoe connoisseur. 

"Hi, Mom," Dylan greeted the woman behind the door.

"Hello, my handsome son," the older woman greeted Dylan by kissing him on the cheek and enveloping him in a bear hug.  "Come in, come in."

"Mom, this is my friend Skye," Dylan placed a hand on the small of Skye's back as he pushed her a little bit forward towards his mother.

"Hello, Mrs. O'Connell.  You have an absolutely stunning home," Skye remarked truthfully.  She'd only seen what can be seen from the main entrance so far, but what she had seen was gorgeous.  She let her gaze wander past Dylan's mother and beautifully proportioned rooms with deep crown and picture moldings, wide doorways framed by Doric columns and rounded window bays greeted her line of sight. 

"Please, call me Mary.  And why don't I take you on a little tour before we sit down for dinner?  My husband is running a little late, he does send his apologies," Mary took hold of the younger woman's hand.  "Here, why don't you get more comfortable and take your coat and scarf off?"  Skye did as she was told, hanging her things on the strap of her cross body bag that slung over her shoulder, but Mary took them all from her and handed them to her son.  "Dylan, why don’t you be a doll and please hang these in the hallway closet.  We'll just be walking around," Mary said good naturedly.

He took Skye’s things from his mother’s hold and did as he was asked.  Skye was in awe of every room Mary showed her, but tried her best to suppress herself.  She didn’t want to embarrass herself in any way, especially not in front of Mary.  Every room they toured was immaculate and amazingly interior designed.  Mary’s taste was impeccable.  The furniture in the house was obviously especially designed to the homeowner’s specifications, each piece was so special.  Dark leather, plush suede, dark woods, ornate curtains, and Asian inspired art was seen throughout the house.  There were four bedrooms:  the master bedroom was the only one used as an actual bedroom, two of the other bedrooms were transformed into his and her offices, and the smallest room turned into “closet” for Mary.  Mary opened the door to the “closet”, and Skye could not contain the audible gasp that escaped from her lips.  One whole wall had a built in cabinet full of shoes in every imaginable style, shapes, and colors.  She walked up to the shoes, keeping a safe distance, like they were works of art at a museum.  Dylan finally caught up to them and chuckled at Skye’s face; she definitely looked like a kid who hit the jackpot at a candy shop or a toy store.