Chapter 19.

Jason picked me up in the morning, like usual. He walked me to all my classes, and before you knew it, school was over. He dropped me off at my house to pack and he said he would be over after he finished.

The thing is, last night I couldn’t sleep, with all that thinking, so I started packing. I packed the new shorts, assorted color of tanks and the few pair of swim suits that Jess and I got the other day. I also packed flip flops, a new toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste; along with all the other essentials a girl needs.

Technically, I was already packed since last night but today, I packed a few extra clothes and such thing; just incase of an emergency, or if the girls needed to borrow or forgot anything. I was really starting to warm up to the idea of going to Santa Monica, only because it started to rain during lunch today. And in all truth, I can’t wait to lay on a beach, soak up some sun, play in the water and just overall, have a good time.

It’s California, the golden state, what can possibly go wrong?

Derek went to get Rachel, since she was done packing, about thirty minutes ago and Jessica, Patrick and Jason arrived like two minutes ago. We are all talking about what they packed and if we have everything.

“Yeah, my dad helped me pack the cooler with some sodas and water bottles and before we leave, we have to put some ice in there for them to stay cool. We have another cooler filled with snacks as well.” Patrick said.

“Cool.”

“Yeah, so where are in the heck are we staying at anyway?”

“We are going to stay with my uncle and cousin. My aunt died a few years ago, so they enjoy the company.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“It’s cool, they are both excited about us coming down.”

“How old is your cousin?”

“She sixteen.”

“Cool.”

We ate and lounged around watching Family Guy, while we waited for Derek and Rachel. When they did show up, a whole half hour late, they had a guest with them.

“Zach, what are you doing here?”

“Jeez, Alb, if I was that much of a burden I wouldn’t of come.”

“Not at all.” I notice a suit case next to him. Was he coming with us? “Wait, your coming with? To California?”

“Yeah. That a problem?”

“No, just how are we all going to fit?”

“My dad said we should take a van, but when we went to the rental place we found a car that sits eight people.”

“So we are all going in one car?”

“Yep. Safer that way. Plus, the car we got is roomy inside so, we’ll be fine.”

“What kind of car is it?” Jason asked.

“It’s a Chevrolet Transverse.”

“Sweet, I heard that car had good gas mileage and is super comfortable inside.” Zach said.

After the boys talked car talk and Derek, Zach and Rachel finished eating we all played Dance Central on the Xbox. And around nine, Patrick yelled at everyone to go to bed.

“All righty people, we should all head to bed, we gotta be up bright and early!”

“How early?”

“If we want to make it there before the sun goes down, I’d say by five thirty the latest. AND please, no complaining. You can always fall back asleep in the car on the way there.”

Everyone said there good nights and we all went up to bed. Derek and Rachel are sleeping in his room, Jess and Patrick are sleeping in the guest room, Zach is sleeping on the couch downstairs and Jason is sleeping on the floor in my room. I insisted that he sleep in the bed with me but he said it was wrong and blah blah blah.

“Jason, you can sleep in the bed with me.”

“Nah, I’m good down here.” He laid a blanket as his bed on the floor next to my bed and an extra one to cover him with my pink pillow underneath his head. From the faint night light I have in my room, I could see his shadow shifting around on the wall next to me. I knew he was uncomfortable and it didn’t make me feel good knowing he wasn’t going to sleep well.

“You’re going to regret it in the morning.”

He pondered for a moment, before deciding that I was right and climbed into the bed with me. We laid there for a while, both staring at the roof, in an awkward silence.

“Hey, you still awake?” He whispered.

“Yeah.”

“Uh, so were you really going to go to New York with your parents?”

“Yeah but I forgot the date of their anniversary, which is on Sunday, so it wouldn’t have been as romantic if I was there, ya know?”

“Yeah. Well, I’m glad you didn’t go.”

“Me too. I’m actually pretty excited about going.”

“Yeah?”

“Yep. It’s Derek’s and I first time to California.”

“Really? Well then, I’m going to make it a trip that you will never forget.”

And I hope that was true. Because on way or another, this trip is going to be one I wont ever forget.