Page 57

We walked back into the record room and sat down at the table. The guard folded his arms over the table and eyed both of us like he was about to interrogate us. It made me nervous, like I wanted to admit things I hadn't even done. There was no way he knew what we were really doing down here. He could only guess and he might come close, but he wouldn't really know. We didn't have to tell him the truth. We could come up with something. Adrian is pretty impulsive.

"First of all, what are your names? That's about all I don't know about you." That worried me.

"The genius is Adrian, I'm Gale." I answered still pressing Adrian's nerves. I probably shouldn't have with him being the way he is, but I don't really know when to stop.

"I was completely serious about what I said." He informed me just as threateningly as before.

"Unfortunately I know that." I said without looking away from the guard. I realized then that the files were all cleaned up and put away. Everyone was asleep as far as I know. I'm never the first to fall asleep so I know no one picked them up while I was out. I would have to ask Adrian later if he knew.

"Alright, alright, calm down you too. You seem pretty comfortable for only knowing each other for three days." I wanted to tell him it had been a damn long three days, but decided against it. I was in no mood to tell him why. "I'm Terry King." I nodded at him and felt the real questioning building up.

"Now, my wife is a head nurse here and her brother works in the room where they monitor the security tapes." Oh my god, why hadn't me thought of that? Adrian shifted next to me, obviously thinking the same thing. "We all know you've been coming down here at night and Nancy doesn't want to turn you in. However, that's only gonna work if you tell me what you've been doing." I knew what they thought and if I were anyone else that's probably exactly what would have been going on.

I opened my mouth to haggle with Adrian, but he beat me to it. "We've been having sex." He told Terry without blinking an eye. Therefore, I didn't hesitate to slug him in the arm as hard as I could with my aching hand.

"We have not and if you tell anyone we have you're on your own!" I snapped at him seriously. I wasn't going to put up with people thinking I was a slut. I'm enough things already.

"Well if you haven't been doing that then what on earth have you been doing down here?" Terry asked, sounding as baffled as expected. I realized then that I really wanted to tell him. I wanted someone like Terry to know. He said he wouldn't tell and I have no reason to disbelieve him.

"I think we should tell him." I proposed and gave Adrian a long look. He glared at me since I had led on that something sneaky was going on. What else was I supposed to do? Honestly, what more do we have to lose at this point?

"Now, I know you're skeptical, but I've got no reason to turn you in for anything. This place ain't worth the trouble." Terry assured us. Well, he assured me, but Adrian would probably never trust him fully. I couldn't hold back anymore.

"Do you ever feel like something is wrong with this place? I mean, more wrong than a mental ward usually is." I asked, hoping to get a positive answer.