Page 24

“What’s wrong Gale?” Jay asked, now more concerned than he was a few seconds ago. I didn’t know how to answer his question, because I would sound paranoid. I don’t mean the general someone’s-watching-me paranoid, I mean the clinical murder-everyone-I-know-because-they’re-clones paranoid. I’ll be in a padded cell by the end of the day, that’s for sure.

            “Something bad happened. Why else would they call me four times?” The paranoia came out clearly in my voice and both of my friends were a little shocked at my sudden mental breakdown. “Something had to have happened to Adrian or…” I trailed off and  groaned loudly as I realized something.

            “What?” Wendy asked, barely being able to stand me not telling her.

            “That or they found the blanket and flashlight we left in the basement.” They both caught on immediately.

            This is not good, not good at all. Either Adrian is dead or they think we were fooling around in the basement. They do have security cameras in the hospital, but I didn’t see any in the basement, so they can only assume with the given evidence, which is enough. Oh, I’ll have hell to pay once I find out what they’ve been continuously calling about. Me and my bright ideas.

            I looked down at my phone seeing that a message had been left, and I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. “Should I listen to it?” I asked either of the two. They didn’t say anything for a minute. They didn’t know what to do any better than I did.

            “Do it.” Jay told me finally. I still looked to Wendy to get her opinion.

            “They’ve been calling you all day so I’d just get it over with if I were you.” She told me with a shrug.

            I took a deep breath and felt sick to my stomach as I put the message on speaker so we could all hear it.

            “Hello Gale, this is Dr. Thompson. I’m sorry for calling again, but Adrian keeps insisting. In case you didn’t get my previous messages he had a minor seizure earlier this morning and has been asking for you ever sense. All your patients have actually. They seem to be very fond of you. Anyway, I’ll stop taking up space in your inbox now. Have a good day.” The wind rustled the leaves in the trees above us.

            No one said anything. We just stood there and watched my knuckles turn white as a result of my tight grip on the phone. My mouth was dry and my throat was tightly constricted. Breathing didn’t seem like a necessity at the time. The only thing I could think was that I would never forgive myself for not being there for Adrian and ignoring his calls out of stubbornness and fear for my well being, when his was the one being jeopardized.

            “What are you going to do?” Wendy asked me softly. It was a miracle in itself that I had managed to hear her at all.

            My mind was made up.