Page 12

{I cut this into chapters todays, so I apologize if the beginning is a reccap of the previous page}

I hardly noticed when Adrian brushed by me in the hall and pressed a piece of paper to my palm. I glanced at the back of his head, but he didn't look back. I suppose I shouldn't have looked either, if he is trying to keep a cover, which makes perfect sense. It isn't as if it is okay for us to be sneaking around like this. Sneaking around; last week I wouldn't have even thought of it.

I unfolded the paper and read it:

"Gale, come to my room at eleven. The guards will be asleep by then." I folded the paper back up and shoved it into my back pocket.

Eleven? How long am I going to be here? Unless something goes terribly wrong we will spend an estimated two hours going through files so I won't be home until after one. What if someone locks the door to the stairwell? Is there another way out? With my luck they will and there won't be.

The day dwindled away with drooling patients and a few uncoordinated fist fights. I couldn't hold my fingers still. They tapped counter tops, tables, and my thigh. They plucked the hymn of my shirt and the periwinkle hair band around my wrist. I cracked and popped them and watched as the people around me cringed at the sound. I just couldn't hold them still. I was too nervous.

It started getting dark and I spotted the criminally insane enjoying the last hours of daylight outside. Some played basketball and some simply sat around. Most looked uncomfortable and they all made me feel that way. However, I sat and watched them. They interested me. Honestly, they all did, all the patients, but mostly the criminals. They were dangerous and had more sever conditions. It got me excited.

Alice was out there, which surprised me. She was leaning against the chain link fence, hugging a brown shawl around her shoulders. Even thought I couldn't see her well it seemed like her eyes were glassy and distant. They seem safer like that. Otherwise she's screaming and trying to kill me. The basketball bounced by her and she pulled her feet back so it wouldn't hit them. She seemed too calm.

Next I spotted Jason. He was sitting on the edge on the asphalt and drawing in the dusty dirt. He wore an innocent and adoring smile as he played. The sight of him caused my heart to sing a different song again and my eyes softened tremendously. The ball rolled to him and I found that strange. He picked it up and tossed it back to the young man with a chuckle. So, follow the ball? Or the ball follows me?

Going in order of my rounds didn't sound all that fun, but I sought out Matthew anyway. When I found him he was close. He smiled and tilted his head to the side again when he noticed me. On cue the ball bounced off his foot. He tossed it back to the players without removing his eyes from me. I ended that connection as quickly as I could and found Adrian in a place I hadn't expected to see him.

He was on the three point line, dribbling the ball and staring up at the hoop. He looked so normal and easily focused. So, now there was another side of Adrian. I liked him better this way. He was nonthreatening and just like every other guy of fifteen. He shot the ball in one flawless motion and the orange globe sailed to the hoop in a perfect arch.

Swish.